Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a great big Nerd!

Hi all.  Seemed apropos to do a quick introduction as I join the rebellion.

I'm 41, a single father of four, and computer systems architect (i.e. huge nerd) for a huge company.  I'm also, unfortunately, huge physically.  I'm 6'4", and currently weight 385lbs. down from 490 lbs. (!!)  I have a form of diabetes called LADA (which is kind of like a mix of type 1 and type 2 diabetes), which is probably why I got so overweight in the first place.  

Six years ago, after my divorce, I was diagnosed, and I started working out.  I got lucky and got into powerlifting, and over a period of about a year I worked my way up to a 900 lb. deadlift and a 675 lb. squat.  Then, life happened some more and I wasn't able to work out for quite a while. Two months ago, I started going to the gym again with my son who is now 15.  We are slowly working our way up in terms of weight -- we started with the bar, and have now worked our way up to:

• 205 lb. dead
  • 165 lb. back squat
  • 120 lb. bench
  • 120 lb. pendlay rows (working on transitioning to power cleans instead)
  • 105 lb. overhead press for me (85 for my son.)
  • Assisted pullups with 148 lbs. assist for me (48 lbs. for my son)

I'm also swimming three days a week, and trying to get a mile swim but I'm getting over a cold and haven't done that in two weeks.

Next big challenge is diet -- I know from experience that a low carb diet works best for me, but Coca Cola is my addiction.  The other big challenge is I need to quit smoking (I know, I know.)

I also know that I need a better Jedi council.   Which is why I'm here.  I look forward to joining the next six week challenge.

Thanks for reading guys, and may the force be you.  Not with you.  You.

Congrats on breaking 100lbs! And I agree with Raxie the next 6 week challenge would be great to help you move forward. It's going to be the first one I do! Good luck!

Amazon wanna be Scout

Level 0

STR 0  |  DEX |  STA 0  |  CON 0  |  WIS 0  |  CHA 0
6 week Challenge

First

Start weight 365                                                                      CurrentWeight 353

3%
3%

Goal Weight 195