Forums are back in action! ×

I am not that special, and this is a good thing

Hello friends,

I have been very casually thinking about "trying" to get back into shape for a long time.  A friend recently showed me articles from Nerd Fitness, and they've been very provocative.  Here is someone saying "I get you.  I know a lot of people who are a lot like you, like you enough that you are effectively taxonomically identical, and they did this.  So what's your excuse?"

I am an accountant by trade, with an undergraduate degree in mathematics, and currently pursuing a masters in accounting.  I had a five-year plan for that masters that would leave me lots of personal time, but I've found that free time is not effective time for me.  I'm planning to triple my class load next year in order to graduate in the following year and earn my license by the end of 2015.  This will result in significantly less free time.  I'm also thinking about switching careers from private accounting to public accounting.  This will likely result in anywhere between a 150% - 200% increase in my working hours.  Again less free time.

I also have terrible habits and have basically turned into a marshmallow with legs and a mouth.

My enemy here is bad habits of thought and behavior.  My plan of attack will be to cover those bad habits with better ones.  I've set two early-stage goals:

1) get out of bed a half hour earlier and go outside every other day, to be increased to a daily basis.  I plan to extend this time after 1 month, and eventually leverage this extra time to build a work-out habit in or around my home, before work.  I started this last Thursday, October 17th, 2013.

2)Cook meals on the weekends for week-day dinners.  Cook breakfast each morning.  Creative things are challenging for me.  Options terrify me.  However, it really isn't that difficult to throw spices on chicken breasts and bake them or to scramble eggs.  I started this on Saturday, October 19th, 2013.

I usually order in, every single day.  Multiple meals on the weekends.  It's awful and I am going to kill it dead.  

These are the immediate goals.  I want to be using the beginner's body-weight routine before the end of the year on a regular basis.  I also, by the end of the year, want to have spent a month on a diet of home-cooked meals comprised of nothing else but protein and vegetables.

If I can accomplish these things, then I can build a buffer around a work-out routine and diet-change to protect them from the disruptions I am planning for my life.  Those disruptions happen in Q1 and Q2 of 2014, I am going to take these remaining three months to start engraving these better habits into my brain.

This post is my flag in the ground.  

I am glad that this community exists, and I am glad that I found it.  I look forward to a successful Q4 and wish everyone else the best in their own endeavors.