Forums are back in action! ×

Craziest Job you've ever done

So while I had the fun of hanging with Steve and others (Crazy fun night everyone), Steve was asking what we did, and jobs we did to 'get here' So I went back to my previous job before starting my Metrology profession, Working Sanitation in a Marshmallow factory. It wasn't a bad job at all, it was just the extremes of hot, wet, or messy, Basically the job entails cleaning up the machines that made your tasty marshmallows, but sometimes I got to go to places in the company that made things fun and interesting. One very cool place was the sugar room, yes its almost as it sounds, a room where sugar saturates the very air. I recall that if I left my dust mask off, within 5 minutes my whole throat would be coated in sugar. This may seem great, but man it was torture. Another time I got to go on the roof of the company where the vented starch that had set for months if not longer. Wet starch smelled like baby barf, but hey I was working extra days then, and doing jobs no one wanted to do, so it was all good. Best part of cleaning up marshmallows? You can have marshmallow wars, throwing marshmallows, and usually most people won't say much. So what about you guys? Whats the craziest job you've done thus far?

I used to work in a gardening / landscaping firm of one of my friends' father.

One day, a buddy and me got a "special assignment".

IN the middle of Göttingen, where I lived back then are a lot of very old houses. We had to clean the courtyard that was formed by three of the houses meeting (about 4*4 meters, or 12 by 12 feet).

Thing was, that the roofs were overflowing with pigeons and the yard was full of birdsh*t.

So they finally got a solution to get rid of the birds nesting there installed and now wanted the courtyard cleaned.

We got protection gear (suit, goggles and mask in full summer heat - fun) and started shoveling.

At start, it looked like about 1-2 inches of excrement had collected over the years/decades/centuries? On an earth floor.

When we dug deeper, we discovered not only eggs and dead burds, but also that the earthen floor wasn't. It was just the accumulated excrement turning into soil.

End of the story: there WAS a cobblestone floor underneath it all. which we laid free in afew days of work.

But hey ... extra pay because of the hazardous work environment.

::zielperson::