Forums are back in action! ×

Sensitive Skin & Exercising

Hi All,

So I'm in my first week of a proper exercise routine incorporating body weight strength exercises and running...

The issue is my skin, specifically, my cheeks - ON MY FACE!!! When I sweat when working out (which I love) it REALLY stings my cheeks and I am left with red blotchy red marks. I make sure to take off my makeup before I exercise and put on moisturiser to try and prevent it & I ensure to shower straight after exercising but nothing seems to be helping. It really isn't in the end of the world and it's not like it's going to stop me from doing any form of exercise but I just wondered if anybody else has this issue and if they've managed to resolve it? Or if anybody has any ideas on what could help?

Cheers,

Sal

Hey Happysal..

Thats a problem, especially beacuse it stings.. I am not a doctor but, i would recommend you go see one, not that i think it is dangerous or anything but, they usually know what to do :)

I sometimes get red spots/dots on the middle of my chest after exercising but, only if i sweat a lot, however, it goes away after about 30-60 min.. its kind of like the skin getting irritated after being constantly covered in sweat for 1 - 1½ hrs.

i hope it help, i know this isn't the anwers you were hoping to get.. :moody:

- Unos

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit"

Unos -. Ranger

This is kind of off the map of normal suggestions, but I'll put it here in case it's helpful.

I had problems with sweat when working out (my face got really red and sweat burned my eyes, but MY compliant was breakouts). I ended up talking to a chiropractor who does AAT (Advanced Allergy Therapeutics), and ultimately had the suggestion to treat my sweat and sweat glands. I have to admit, I was suspicious. But it's made a HUGE difference - I haven't had a workout/sweat-related breakout since. As a side effect, my eyes don't burn from sweat anymore. I honestly haven't even paid attention to my face - I'll have to check that.

I also treated my sebaceous glands, but that made little to no difference, but was a second recommendation. 

AAT is probably considered controversial, and the treatments aren't cheap. (Original consultation was $165 and each treatment $110, not covered by insurance.) But, for me, TOTALLY worth it. 

Anyway, maybe something to consider. It sounds super-hokey and I never would have tried it if my friend hadn't recommended it after her husband had results with an onion allergy. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I have massively sensitive skin.  I'm allergic to everything, including my own sweat.

Bright red face when working out?  yup.  But I get an allergic reaction on my chest. 

If you are sure it's allergies, try an OTC antihistimine.  They are safe (read the directions, etc.) and you'll know within a week or so it if helps. 

My absolute best course of action has been to keep clothing off the area when I work out.  I need the air circulation to dry.  So I only wear tank tops or v-cut shirts and I use a paper towel to pat dry if necessary.  To keep it from being super itchy when I'm done, I either shower ASAP or use a frangrance free baby wipe or alcohol wipe in the locker room.  I also found medicinal powder helps a lot. 

But that would be funny on your face... So try keeping dry while you work out.  Nothing wrong with a sweatband, a towel, paper towel, something. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

When I first start back running after slacking off for a while, I often have an issue where my legs (particularly thighs) get *really* itchy. The good news in my case is it doesn't happen when I'm consistently exercising.

So if you're lucky, it's something that will go away after a few more workouts. But there seems to be lots of different causes of itchyness etc. while exercising.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

As someone who's life is based off of allergies to avoid I feel your pain. When I sweat it itches and burns but for me it is where my urticarea pigmentosa is most prominant so for me my torso and thighs.

My suggestions is getting a topical cream, I know Benedryl makes an anti itch cream that might help. I get the store brand one because I'm cheap, but it is the only thing that seems to help at all for me.