Forums are back in action! ×

DIY/Makers

We have any DIYers or Makers here.  If so what have you made/done recently?

I recently made a 1/2 inch rope out of jute twine by making a rope walk between by garage and tree in the the yard and making the spreader and strand twister.

I also made a stuffed animal net for my daughters room using #18 nylon masons twine and dyed it pink to match.

Found a Keurig K65 coffee maker with issues on Freecycle and was able to get it fixed (power switch had a short.) and it runs like new.

Make a TRX like suspension trainer using nylon tie-down straps and PVP pipes 

Since last smoke: (Created by Catspaw)

http://htmlpad.org/emclinuxnosmoke/

Somewhere along my travels, I acquired an antique petal-powered sewing table (Seriously not sure how that happened... I'm not much of an antique kind of guy.) Good condition, but missing a few part (belt, needles, that kind of thing). On a whim a decided to find replacement parts and get it back into working order.

Since NF is working so well for me at the moment, I'm thinking I'll try to learn some basic tailoring and see if I can take in my own shirts. I figure, worst case scenario, I screw up and have to buy new clothes. Which I'd have had to do anyway since everything is too big for me!

I built a pair of farmer's handles and poured my own Atlas stones. My squat rack is welded up from rusty old 2" steel pipe. I am hopefully finishing up my steel log in a couple weeks. That will be made out of 12" steam pipe and my first Olympic barbell that I bent. My current electronic cigarette is a homemade setup with an 18650 battery, a HF flashlight for the battery holder, and a piece of spalted maple to mount the connector and flashlight to. Yep, I love me some tinkerin'.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Somewhere along my travels, I acquired an antique petal-powered sewing table

Ahh the treadle powered devices of yesterday.  I don't know of a more effecent way of harnessing human movement to power a device.  Good luck on the shirts

My next project is going to be to make my NF hoodie light up :)

Going to use EL wire (I think its called) for that?

I used to knit and I have worked with chain mail and I have done jewelry making. I'm an artistic engineer.

I can sew also be im not great.  I have never knitted (kinda want to try I like knots and weaves) and have worked with chainmail also.  Did you just bend the rings or go all crazy and rivet them too?  Come to think of it I may try chainmail again for the fun of it.

Since last smoke: (Created by Catspaw)

http://htmlpad.org/emclinuxnosmoke/

I ordered scale mail and rings from the ring lord.

I made a scale mail bra. I made some fun design chains to embellish ot. I didn't go crazy it was my first product like that. The bra looks great :-)

It's fun but it's definitely not for everyone. It's tedious. But i liked it. Some people make their own rings. I would order them to start just because it's easier and you don't have to commit to the process if you decide you hate it you didn't waste time making a piece of equipment you won't use.

I love learning to do new things.  Two years ago I learned to knit, last year my big thing was cake decorating.  I went from spreading storebought icing with a butter knife to making my own 3-tier wedding cake in about a year. :)  Tiered cakes are totally an engineering project on their own, btw!

Currently my husband and I are busy learning how to make our costumes and the costumes for the kids.  I've had to learn how to really sew (more than hemming/fixing) including designing my own pattern and he's got this crazy papercraft/fibreglass/bondo helmet project in the works.  We're still figuring out how to make Lily her Portal Gun for her Chell costume...

I never would have classified myself as a maker or a DIYer but I do like creating stuff, and I especially like the adventure of learning a new craft!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr