Forums are back in action! ×

A new me - post surgery

Hi everyone!  I'm obviously new here, and I'm really excited to be part of a community full of people who are trying to live healthier lives.  

I will be 35 in November, and 2013 has already been a pretty big year.  In August, I donated a kidney to my uncle.  I was recently cleared by my doctor to start exercising again, and I'm really excited to try and get back into shape.  My cardiovascular fitness really went downhill after surgery.  In additional to the 5 incisions in my abdomen, I have had to pace myself as my remaining kidney gains strength to compensate for it's lost twin.  They say it takes 6 months to a year.

I recently joined a gym closer to work here in Downtown LA to get back into shape and ease my commute.  It's only been 10 days, and I haven't seen any changes in weight, but it feels great to be active again.  Even though I've competed in quite a few triathlons, my first love is lifting weights.  I've been working with a trainer to build a base again.  It's been so long since I've been able to do anything, that I am excited to have a little focus and guidance.  I am also hoping to compete in a few events at the Transplant Games, which take place in July.

That's me and my recent fitness journey in a nutshell.  Thanks for listening..err, reading...you know what I mean.

-Michelle