Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all!

So I have to admit that I am not a big nerd. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Star Wars, but it's my husband (who works at Google) that's the big nerd. So I found this site through Google+ and while I may need to ask my husband to explain some of the more nerdy references, I have yet to find such an open, easy to understand, and exciting site that is really helping people meet their fitness goals!

So here is my story: I'm a grad student which means 7 days a week in front of a computer. In the summer I tend to walk a lot but in the winter (even worse: Canadian winter) I avoid going outside. As such, my fitness habits fluctuate a lot with the summer always being a big push. This winter was a bit different; I've been using the fitness game EA Sports Active 2 which had me using free weights for the first time in addition to cardio and helped me lose 10 pounds. I still want to lose about 15 more to bring me to my wedding weight (I'm 5'9" and currently 170 aiming for 155) but I need to find some new exercises to bring me over my current plateau.

From what I've read on the site so far one thing that seems to be important is having a meaningful motivation beyond just the weight you're trying to reach. I don't really have that yet; I feel healthy and energetic as I am and my eating habits are pretty good so I don't feel like I need a fundamental lifestyle change. So I guess my first goal is to find the motivation that will make this more than just a temporary effort that dissipates with the first sign of snow.

Looking forward to getting more nerdy and fit!