Forums are back in action! ×

Time to solve the other side of the puzzle. Nutrition!

I'm a 33 year old father of two. I am an engineer so my job consist of sitting at my desk only working out my noggin.

I have been going to the gym on and off for the past 10 years. I do not look like someone who has been working out that long. I have taken bad tips from different people on how to build muscle. I must have had high self esteem or something cause I thought I look good until my wife took this picture of me at the beach summer 2012. I am 5'7" and was 183 lbs. I thought the weight was all muscle. Looking at the picture I realize it was all fat.

That's when I decided to change my ways.This year I have learn the right way to workout which is lift heavy and compound workouts (dead lifts, squats, bench, presses, pull-ups etc). However I still had not solved the second part of solution to being fit which is nutrition. By May 2013 not much had change. At that time I decided I need to loose weight so I started counting calories. In 4 months I went from 178 to 160. While that is good in some sense I still want to get stronger and loose fat. And counting calories sucks ! So continuing to do research is where I came across NF and learn that the solution to the puzzle is Paleo.

What I'm bringing to the table is full commitment to paleo and continue to work hard in the gym. Nutrition will be a challenge for me, especially in the middle of football season and holidays. Which means beer,BBQ, tail gates etc. dropping bad nutrition habits will be hard but I will give it the old college try. Wish me luck and hope in January I can post awesome progress.

Welcome fellow new rebel!

I whole heartedly agree with the direction you're taking. I was recently a calorie counter and just switched to paleo myself. I found myself still counting daily calories (out of habit) and found I could eat tons of awesome food and actually still fell within my old calorie restrictions! Real food is amazing :D

And if you ever need encouragement to make it through the season, you now know a place to go!

Level 0 - Kitty Hybrid - Assassin-in-training

Battle Log - Current Challenge

Hi, Welcome to NF!

Glad you got on track! One thing I will tell you is that since you will be losing weight, if you do not consume enough protein, you will lose muscles along with that fat. You need to eat about 0.8g per pound you weight. so about 130g of protein MINIMUM!

With that said, you've done great so far, keep up the good work! Check the quotation in my signature ;)

PS. If ever you need anything let me know, I'm more than willing to help :)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173