Forums are back in action! ×

Originally written on October 26th, 2013.

Hey guys and gals! I'm a 23 year old male, living in New Orleans, Louisiana. My username is MorpheusZero, but my friends just call me Morph for short. Call me what you wish. I'm about a year away from graduating with my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. I do a lot of Programming and over the course of the past three years I've really let myself go. When I was in 9th grade in High School I weighed in at about 150 pounds. Fast forward 7 years. I stand at about 5'9'' and when I went to the doctor last week I was told I weighed in at 230 pounds. According to a BMI Calculator, my BMI is 33.9--well within the Obesity range. So when I went to the doctor, he also told me that my Blood Pressure was extremely borderline and that if I didn't make some better health decisions I would have to get on Blood Pressure medicine. My dad and grandpa both take it, but didn't start until they were in their 50's. So I'm definitely not doing good for myself. 

I found this website through a Google Search and have been subscribed to the Newsletter's that Steve sends out every so often and have been keeping up with the stories but never actually "joined" in. Well since I had the wake-up call at the doctor's office I took a long hard look at my life and decided it's time for a change. I especially loved the article about the bat cave. I have serious issues sitting in front of my computer all day long. I have a lazy boy recliner, with my custom built computer that I use for gaming and also as a development environment between JAVA, Python, and .Net. I have a 70'' LCD TV as my computer monitor mounted on the wall. So You can imagine that between watching TV, playing games, programming, Facebook, eating--wow writing it really makes it hit home. But regardless you can see how much time I spend in this recliner on my ass doing nothing all day when I'm not in class.

I am tired of feeling like I have no energy. I am tired of getting up every day and walking into my bathroom and seeing myself in the mirror and being ashamed of the person looking back at me. It's time for a change It's time for me to #EVOLVE into that next stage in my life. I have to level up. At this point with my Blood Pressure concerns, it's mandatory for my very survival. 

Short-Term Goals

I want to lose at least 30 Pounds (get under 200)

Lower my Blood Pressure

Build some muscle

Increase my endurance (running, cycling, etc)

Cut out all the "unhealthies" from my diet. I eat Chinese food (buffet) probably twice a week right now.

Less "inactive" time in my recliner and in front of the computer.

Long-Term Goals

Respect the man I see in the mirror.

Extend my life.

Tone up, maybe have some actual abs one day.

Eventually I'd like to try out and stick to the Paleo diet but I don't think I'm quite ready for such an extreme amount of changes all at once just yet. We'll see.

Maintain a healthy weight under 200 pounds while building muscle and losing the fat % in my body.

First 6 Week Challenge

Progress to weight loss goal (Lose 20 pounds):

15%
00CCFF; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 100% 100%, color-stop(.25, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.25, transparent), color-stop(.5, transparent), color-stop(.5, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, transparent), to(transparent) ); background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -moz-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -ms-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -o-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); -webkit-background-size: 23px 23px; -moz-background-size: 23px 23px; background-size: 23px 23px; border-radius: 4px;">15%

Hi Rebels,

I'm not sure if this will ever be seen--but I need to get my thoughts out somewhere. I originally signed up on this website almost 2 years ago now. I had high hopes of dropping weight. I had a plan, I joined a gym, and changed my life---for about two months. I started losing a little weight, and slowly stopped doing what I was doing. I decided, "oh well I guess I can eat this since I'm doing so good, etc." Let's Fast forward to present-day and let me reintroduce myself.

I'm still Morph. I live in New Orleans, Louisiana: USA. I graduated university with my Bachelor's in Computer Science in December 2014. I work full-time Monday - Friday as a Software Application & Web Developer for a small company. I sit in front of a computer all day at work, order fast-food with my co-workers for lunch most days, and then go home and sit in front of my computer all night--repeat. After dropping a few pounds, I now have gained more than what I originally lost then. I weigh about 236 pounds right now (5'9''). I'm now 24 years old, soon to be 25. I'm getting older and it's not going to get any easier. I need to make a change and after the few attempts of the last few years I'm prepared to detail the reasons why I have failed in the past.

• No support group. I have found that it is extremely difficult to try and do this kind of stuff alone. If you don't have a friend to run with, cycle with, workout with, "diet" with, etc--you tend to drop out of your routine much more quickly without the motivation or accountability.
  • Cold Turkey. I know this is a touchy subject. But I have tried to 'ween' myself from things and it never works. So this time, I need to Cold Turkey myself from everything bad that I do. I need to give up sodas 100%--which I technically almost do already (maybe one per week). I drink only water. No more fast food--ever. Eat more veggies and fruits, etc. I need to take all the bad stuff I do--put it in the trash bin. 
  • Stop Making Excuses. I used to make excuses about why I couldn't do <insert activity here>. Before I graduated, I was living with my grandparents, and I always made excuses. Now, I work full-time--have my own house in which I live alone, except my dog--and work a badass schedule. As long as I work 40 hours per week, I can come and go to the office at my own time. Which means, if I want to get up and workout--I can. I just choose not to. I can't tell you how many times the past 6 months I've set my alarm to "start tomorrow," and when it goes off--I just reset it for 2 hours later, then get up and go to work.

So here I am. Confessing my sins to the community in how I have failed. Hopefully this experience will humble me into getting serious. I am setting my alarm in the morning and putting it across the room so I have to get up. I'm going on a 8 mile bike ride and then doing Steve's Home Circuit workouts before I shower and go to work.

I really need to meet some new friends here. So whether you are in the same boat as me--or just willing to help me rebuild myself and #Evolve--I'd appreciate any kind words, recipes, tips and tricks, workout plans, accountability partners, or anything else you might can extend out as an olive branch. I've shunned away from fitness over the past year--but I've still been reading Steve's articles every time I get them in my e-mail. It's my time now, and I need a change.

My goals are mostly the same as above. I will outline them again with slight edits:

Short-Term Goals

• I want to lose at least 40 Pounds (get under 200)
  • Lower my Blood Pressure
  • Build some muscle
  • Increase my endurance (running, cycling, etc)
  • Cut out all the "unhealthies" from my diet.
  • Less "inactive" time in my recliner and in front of the computer.

Long-Term Goals

• Respect the man I see in the mirror.
  • Extend my life.
  • Tone up, maybe have some actual abs one day.
  • Eventually I'd like to try out and stick to the Paleo diet but I don't think I'm quite ready for such an extreme amount of changes all at once just yet. We'll see.
  • Maintain a healthy weight under 200 pounds while building muscle and losing the fat % in my body.
  • Like 1

First 6 Week Challenge

15%
00CCFF; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 100% 100%, color-stop(.25, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.25, transparent), color-stop(.5, transparent), color-stop(.5, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, transparent), to(transparent) ); background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -moz-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -ms-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -o-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); -webkit-background-size: 23px 23px; -moz-background-size: 23px 23px; background-size: 23px 23px; border-radius: 4px;">15%

Welcome back. I went away for a while before coming back myself.  Vegito is right, you can do this. If I may offer one suggestion, get specific with your short-term goals.

Short-Term Goals

• I want to lose at least 40 Pounds (get under 200) This is specific
  • Lower my Blood Pressure What do you want the BP to be?
  • Build some muscle What does "some" look like?
  • Increase my endurance (running, cycling, etc) What can you do now and what do you want to do?
  • Cut out all the "unhealthies" from my diet. What unhealthies will you cut?
  • Less "inactive" time in my recliner and in front of the computer. How much time is acceptable?

Long-Term Goals

• Respect the man I see in the mirror.
  • Extend my life.
  • Tone up, maybe have some actual abs one day.
  • Eventually I'd like to try out and stick to the Paleo diet but I don't think I'm quite ready for such an extreme amount of changes all at once just yet. We'll see.
  • Maintain a healthy weight under 200 pounds while building muscle and losing the fat % in my body.

Once you have numbers you can measure, set up some intermediate goals between where you are now and where you want to be so you can celebrate some milestones.

You got this!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yep, repeating what Tank said. Make quantified goals and then break those down into smaller goals. So instead of 40 lbs, challenge yourself to lose 10 lbs in the next 5 weeks if you hop on board the current challenge. 

Also, how do you plan on maintaining a healthy weight/extend your life/respect yourself? Those are amazing goals, but just losing weight wont make that happen. Find something that keeps you active that you're passionate about. You like obstacles and climbing things? Check out mud runs. Always been a fan of martial arts? See if there's a gym around you. Always amazed at those that have their bodies carry them over long distances? Find a running group. 

Finding something to be accountable to not only online but something you can really dedicate yourself to helps a ton in changing your lifestyle. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thanks for the encouraging words. I will work on getting my goals more specific tonight. 

I have refrained from ordering lunch at work the past two days and have eaten only a sandwich on wheat for lunch the past two days at work. So that in itself is something. I can only get better from there. I got up yesterday morning and did the bodyweight circuit from Steve. It's not much, but it did kick my ass lol. I didn't get a chance to do it this morning because I had to go to work early for a meeting/presentation--but I am prepping to do it now, after work--after this post actually...

I hope I can get in on the next 6 week challenge when it starts up.

• Like 1

First 6 Week Challenge

15%

Well done! Getting your eating under control will be the biggest source of success.  For what it's worth, the body weight workout is designed to be done every other day, your muscles need time to recover. On the alternating days try High Intensity Intervals or some other cardio.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath