Forums are back in action! ×

Rooks - Tracking the Daily Grind...

9/1/2014
So yeah... the vacation didn't really have any sort of gym, and to be fair, I didn't feel like working out anyway.  Was having too much fun.  Diet definitely suffered, but...

Monday weigh-in:  201.2lbs

So only up 1.2.  Good stuff.  Back strong on the diet tomorrow since I'm back at work. 

Then, after reading through 5/3/1 actually decided to do a re-factor and make sure I was on track with where my totals were. 

Overall Workout Time:  60 Minutes

Overhead Press

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 65lbs
  • 3 @ 95lbs
  • 4 @ 135lbs

Notes:  Screwed up, and used 135lbs instead of 125lbs. 

Deadlift

• 3 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 225lbs
  • 1 @ 295lbs
  • 7 @ 330lbs

Notes:  Holy crap.  I will never deadlift without chalk again.  I did that set of 7 without my grip even flinching.  So awesome...

Bench

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 8 @ 195lbs

Notes:  Bench felt really solid today.  Thinking I'm getting the form. 

Squat

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 2 @ 225lbs
  • 5 @ 255lbs

Notes:  Felt weak here.  Going to have to keep working on this. 

Overall notes:  Calculated 1RM for Bench, 245lbs.  Calculated 1RM for Squat 295lbs.  Calculated 1RM for Deadlift 405lbs.  Calculated 1RM for Overhead Press, 155lbs.  Happy with everything except Squat.

Don't beat yourself up too much on the squat. Don't forget that you did it last after maxing out on your other three, so it was going to suffer.

Chalk, yea... magic.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Just for you EE.  I did manage to sneak out an hour over the long weekend in the garage prepping my Fat DB Handles.  Got everything cut and all the edges ground down to get rid of all the burrs and crap.  Hopefully get them all tacked together this week sometime.  Maybe sneak out to the garage Wednesday night.  They should have enough room for 4 25lb weights on each side with a collar (I believe it was 8 1/4").  Grip is right around 5 1/2".  Total bar length is 24".  Figured a 200lb Fat Handle DB would be more then I would ever need.  Now to just find some more 25lb weights.

This got me pretty excited about making some Farmer's Walk handles as well so might try and cut some bar up for those as well.

2u94o4h.jpg

Lookin good.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

9/3/2014

Overall Workout Time:  1 Hour

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Overhead Press

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 65lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 115lbs
  • 5 @ 125lbs
  • 5 @ 130lbs

Notes:  For this cycle, I'm scrapping the BBB and using the Bodyweight template of 5/3/1 with a few extra exercises thrown in for good measure.  Was really hoping for a 7 or an 8 on the last set, but got stuck right at my forehead and just wouldn't budge. 

Super Set - Pull-up & Push-up

• 1 Pull-up / 10 Push-ups

Notes:  Switched from neutral grip and was surprised I didn't struggle with the singles at all.  Might try doing sets of 2 next time.

Kroc Rows

• 20 @ 70lb DBs
  • 20 @ 70lb DBs
  • 20 @ 70lb DBs

Notes:  Half reps with each arm.  Slowed everything down.  Stopped at the bottom of every rep.  Made sure to twist as little as possible to get more back involved.  Happy with the way my back was feeling after these. 

Treadmill

• 2:00 @ 3.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 5.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 6.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 7.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 8.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 9.0MPH
  • 0:40 on / 0:20 off @ 10.0MPH
  • 2:00 @ 3.0 MPH

Notes:  This felt really good.  Haven't felt good running in a long time.  Had a lot more in the tank, but also had a good sweat going and I was hungry so decided it was time to go eat some lunch.

Overall Notes:  Felt good and strong today.  Suppose it helps I had over two full weeks off with no worries about diet what so ever. 

Rooks, I just saw your dumbell handles a page back, they look very much like the pair I got from Fat Bastard Barbell a few years ago. Assuming you used 2" pipe you may want to do something to trim them down a a hair. I found that many plates didn't fit mine since barbell collar is supposed to be 1.95". I just made sure that when I bought plates that I tested them on the bars before I paid for them and it was fine. I think less than a quarter actually didn't fit.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Rooks, I just saw your dumbell handles a page back, they look very much like the pair I got from Fat Bastard Barbell a few years ago. Assuming you used 2" pipe you may want to do something to trim them down a a hair. I found that many plates didn't fit mine since barbell collar is supposed to be 1.95". I just made sure that when I bought plates that I tested them on the bars before I paid for them and it was fine. I think less than a quarter actually didn't fit.

It's actually Schedule 40 1.5" Pipe which has an OD of 1.9" (pipe measurements go off the ID).  Plate stoppers are Schedule 80 2" Pipe (OD of 2.375").  Plates have been test fit, my only concern is collars, but I can make my own up if I have to with the same 2" Pipe, a hand screw, and tap set.

9/4/2014

Overall Workout Time:  30 Minutes

Warm-up

• Leg Swings, Hip Openers

Deadlift

• 5 @ 135lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 185lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 225lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 2 @ 275lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 305lbs (Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 5 @ 325lbs (Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 5 @ 345lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)

Notes:  Once again, chalk proves to be the difference.  Grip didn't budge.  So nice to finally be done with straps.  Really wanted more on the final set, but the belt was digging into the stomach something fierce.  Maybe next time.  

Overall Notes:  Work is going to be giant pain in the butt the next couple weeks so I have a feeling this won't be the only workout dropped to simply the working sets.  

9/5/2014

Overall Workout Time:  25 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 155lbs
  • 5 @ 185lbs
  • 5 @ 195lbs
  • 7 @ 210lbs

Notes:  Damn, bench felt great today.  The 210 felt heavy, but damn if I just didn't keep lifting it.  Awesome stuff.  So happy with a 7 rep set on 210.

Overall Notes:  Kept it short again.  More work issues. 

• Like 1

When the nightmare calms down at work you might want to consider finding out what you can do to drive your squat up besides just squatting. It seems like BBB hasn't done a thing for you. Hip thrusts did a lot for me for a while until my glutes finally woke up and got on board. Once that happened it seems like whatever I do, barring injury, my squat just slowly moves in the right direction. I dropped hip thrusts a while ago, but get plenty of training effect on them from deadlifting. I have no idea what your particular hangup is, but whatever it is can be somewhat ignored with how you squat until the weight gets heavy and when that happens, whatever it is just doesn't show up to the party.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Don't worry, you'll blow up when you finish your cut.

The crappy part is my "cut" has been none existent the last two weeks.  Been well over 2500 cals every day and well under on 200g of Protein.  Just let the diet sort of slip away.  Trying to reigning things in, so hopefully I'll get back on track.

When the nightmare calms down at work you might want to consider finding out what you can do to drive your squat up besides just squatting. It seems like BBB hasn't done a thing for you. Hip thrusts did a lot for me for a while until my glutes finally woke up and got on board. Once that happened it seems like whatever I do, barring injury, my squat just slowly moves in the right direction. I dropped hip thrusts a while ago, but get plenty of training effect on them from deadlifting. I have no idea what your particular hangup is, but whatever it is can be somewhat ignored with how you squat until the weight gets heavy and when that happens, whatever it is just doesn't show up to the party.

Yeah.  It's funny to me that BBB didn't work better consider how well I responded to Smolov.  That 345 I put up in late December seems a long way off at this point.  I'll figure it out though. 

9/11/2014

Overall Workout Time:  25 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Overhead Press

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 65lbs
  • 5 @ 85lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 3 @ 130lbs
  • 3 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 140lbs

Notes:  Talk about a bad day.  Sore throat.  Feel like shit.  Majorly forced myself to do this workout.  Took a lot.  The last rep of the last set was closer to probably a push press then anything.  Got a little hip dip in there.  Hoping I feel better soon. 

9/15/2014

Overall Workout Time:  40 Minutes

Warm-up

• Leg Swings & Hip Openers & some LaCrosse ball rolling
Deadlift
  • 5 @ 135lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 3 @ 185lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 3 @ 225lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 3 @ 275lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 1 @ 315lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 1 @ 365lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 1 @ 405lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 3 @ 325lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 3 @ 345lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 3 @ 365lbs (Belted, Switch Grip, Left Over)
Notes:  The 3 single sets were just for me.  Works been terrible and I've been falling behind mainly because of my lack of focus lately.  Home life has been rough between the baby girl teething and everyone in the house including me getting sick as well as some house projects turning into a giant hassle when they shouldn't be.  Anyway, I was feeling better, and I wanted to break 400 without straps.  Never done it and damn it, it was going up today.  Was actually quite surprised at how easily it went up.  Probably could have gotten 425, but still had my working sets.  Was also going to go for more then just the "3" on the last set, but my belt starts to dig into my gut something fierce on sets.  Not sure what's going on or if that is normal.  Was happy enough with 3 after the 405.  So yeah... achievement complete. :)

zsv1io.gif

• Like 2

I can't wait for my meet so I can get ahead of you two again. This is some bullshit.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

It's on October 18th. I'm riding down with my one and only meathead friend, so barring some huge technical difficulties I'll definitely get some video.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"