Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench (Smolov Jr., Week 2, Day 4)

• 3 @ 45lbs
  • 3 @ 95lbs
  • 3 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 155lbs
  • 3 @ 200lbs (10 sets of 3)

Notes:  This started to get tough at about set 6.  Rests got a bit longer, but still got through all the sets in about 25 minutes... I think.

Warm-up

• Leg Swings & Hip Openers & MFR w/ Rumble Roller

Squat

• 3 @ 45lbs
  • 3 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 185lbs
  • 3 @ 225lbs
  • 3 @ 265lbs
  • 3 @ 265lbs
  • 3 @ 265lbs

Notes:  3 sets of 3 at ~90% of the 1RM.  Not bad.  Actually felt really good and I wanted to do about 2 more sets, but ran out of time.  We were going out to dinner for our anniversary tonight (actually on Wednesday) so I had to be showered up and ready to go by 3pm.  Anyway... went to a sushi joint that was all-you-can-eat and had good reviews.  I lost count at about piece 32 and I know I had at least 1 more roll after that.  So yeah... I GORGED myself on sushi.  I honestly thought I might throw up in the parking lot... yeah... that bad.  Going to pay for that on the scale on Monday, but you only live once right?  :)  It was basically the only meal I had all day (had 4 eggs and coffee for breakfast). 

10/21/2014
Total time:  60 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench (Smolov Jr., Week 3, Day 1)

• 6 @ 45lbs
  • 6 @ 95lbs
  • 6 @ 135lbs
  • 6 @ 170lbs (6 sets of 6)

Notes:  All paused.  No issues.

Warm-up

• Leg Swings & Hip Openers & MFR w/ Lacrosse Ball

Squat

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 20 @ 185lbs

Notes:  Widowmaker.  Just for the hell of it.  Got through it easy enough.  I mean not easy... but not shaking like a mad man, grunting like a hog in heat type reps. 

10/22/2014
Total time:  75 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench (Smolov Jr., Week 3, Day 2)

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 182.5lbs (7 sets of 5)

Notes:  All paused.  Started to get heavy around set 6. 

Slow ass Rambling (i.e. an attempt at a run)

Notes:  Just felt like crap the whole run.  Wasn't even really a run.  Walked 3/4 of it.  Sprinted to avoid the zombies (obviously :P), but my quads didn't have any drive at all.  Apparently, yesterday's Squat session, while limited, was very taxing. 

DONT RUN BRO U WILL LOZE ALL UR GAINZ!!1!1

Just kidding.  But I hate trying to run.

Edit:  Just looked at the video for that app.  That looks pretty freakin cool.

Yeah.  It's fun, hell, it's the main reason why I'm running again.  I'm limiting any distance running to once a week, so yeah... I've always said that I don't want to turn into the guy that just lifts.  I want to be athletic.  Be able to get out and move so I know I have to incorporate some amount of running into my training.

10/23/2014
Total time:  40 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench (Smolov Jr., Week 3, Day 3)

• 4 @ 45lbs
  • 4 @ 95lbs
  • 4 @ 135lbs
  • 4 @ 155lbs
  • 4 @ 195lbs (8 sets of 4)

Notes:  Blasted through these pretty quick.  Really felt these. 

Overall Notes:  Didn't do any lower body since I was so wasted during my run yesterday.  Due to some other commitments, I have to do Day 4 tomorrow without any rest, so could be a struggle.  We'll see.  4 straight days of benching is brutal.

10/24/2014
Total time:  65 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench (Smolov Jr., Week 3, Day 4)

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 3 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 165lbs
  • 3 @ 205lbs (10 sets of 3)

Notes:  Ahh... the sweet relief of finishing another round of Smolov Jr., Bench edition.  Sets were tough, but the only rep that was even a struggle was the final rep of the last set and that wasn't even close to a failure.  I'd say an RPE 8. 

Overall Notes:  Realized I actually haven't had a deload week in almost 7 weeks now as I sandwiched in the FBFIA after my last round of 5/3/1 and then started Smolov Jr right away, so that could be a bit of the reason why everything has felt so run down lately.  Hence, I axed lower body work again today, and did 35 minutes of mobility work.  It felt amazing.  Complete body work.  Tons of hip work.  Tons of shoulder work.  Some MFR stuff.  I feel great.  Glad I did that.  Next week is going to be a nice easy deload week, and then I might try hitting a new bench PR on Saturday or Sunday.  Then back to 5/3/1 with a vengeance. 

10/24/2014
Total time:  30 Minutes

Warm-up

• Some simple dynamic movement... probably should have done more...

Bench

• 10 @ 45lbs
  • 10 @ 95lbs
  • 10 @ 135lbs
  • 10 @ 135lbs
  • 10 @ 135lbs

Squat

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 185lbs

Overall Notes:  Nothing special.  Kept it light and kept it quick.  Just a nice simple de-load workout to get the blood pumping a bit. 

So... yeah.  Did a bit of... well for lack of a better term, soul-searching this weekend.  I've been coming back every Monday with basically the same tag line for the better part of 2 months now.  "Ate like poop.  I'll do better."  My weight hasn't been affect nearly as bad as it probably should have as I'm still right around ~204 (didn't actually weigh in the morning, just sort of guessing based on previous weigh-ins).  Considering I started cutting when I was ~220, I'm still pretty happy with where I'm at.  That said, my goal has been and always will be to get down around 185 since I know of a load more fatty goo that can go.  So yeah... I've been trying to think about why I'm doing this and why I keep just giving into bad decisions of drinking too many beers and just downright blowing off protein goals, etc.  And yeah... I basically came up with nothing short of "it's cool".  So yeah... I'm going to keep thinking about it, and we'll see what I come up with. 

That said, I felt amazing today.  Woke up just wanting to workout something fierce.  Amazing that deload weeks actually work, huh?  Who would have guessed.  So yeah... workout went a bit long today because I just kept adding stuff. 

11/3/2014

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 185lbs
  • 4 @ 225lbs (Rep PR)

Notes:  Wanted to see where my Bench was after this last cycle of Smolov Jr. so started the day out working up to 225 and pounded out a solid 4 reps at probably an RPE 8.5.  Anything above 4 would have been shaky and as I'm at work (i.e. no cage, no spotter), I was more then happy with that.  Using the handy 5/3/1 formula Wendler likes, that puts my estimated 1RM at 255. 

Overhead Press

• 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 115lbs
  • 5 @ 125lbs
  • 7 @ 130lbs (+2 reps)

Notes:  Very happy with this as well.  7 reps at 130 after bench work.  You bet.

Neutral Grip Pull-ups

Notes:  Still my bane, but I have to do them with more frequency if I want to start seeing more improvement.

Weighted Dips

• 5 @ +50lbs
  • 5 @ +50lbs
  • 5 @ +50lbs

Notes:  Went higher with the weight then normal, but lower on the reps.  Happy with this. 

Kroc Rows

• 24 @ 70lbs
  • 24 @ 70lbs
  • 24 @ 70lbs

Notes:  Half reps with each arm.  Nothing worth mentioning.

Abs

• 0:45 Plank
  • 25 Crunches
  • 10 Leg Raises

Straight Bar Cable Curls

• 8 @ 100lbs
  • 8 @ 100lbs
  • 8 @ 100lbs

Notes:  No idea what the actual weight of this was since it was the fun little cable machine, but just wanted to do some straight up bro work.  Felt good as I haven't curled anything in a long while.  Not to fall too far down the "bro" rabbit hole, but damn, my arms were swole as hell after these sets. 

11/5/2014

Overall Notes:  Another very strong day.  Felt good all the way through.  Got a solid sweat going.  No complaints short of I need help figuring out Power Cleans, but I knew that going into the workout.  :)

Warm-up

• Leg Swings
  • Hip Openers
  • Hops

Deadlift

• 5 @ 135lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 185lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 225lbs (DOH Grip)
  • 5 @ 305lbs (Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 5 @ 325lbs (Switch Grip, Left Over)
  • 5 @ 345lbs (Switch Grip, Left Over)

Notes:  No belt.  Weight was flying off the ground.  Felt really good on all this so just screw the belt as any time I do more then 2 reps with the belt on, it pinches the shit out of my stomach fat. 

Power Cleans

• 1 @ 135lbs
  • 1 @ 135lbs
  • 1 @ 135lbs

Notes:  Just experimenting here.  I need to get more mobility in my wrists as it seems like when I get the rack my pinkie fingers instantly come off the bar.  The weight itself felt really light.  Feel like I could pretty easily do 185 or even 225 with some coaching.

Neutral Grip Pull-ups

• 1 (with negative hold)

Notes:  Going to keep throwing these in.  Worse then Monday, but whatever.  I'm going to do them.

Leg Press Machine

• 10 @ 218lbs
  • 10 @ 308lbs
  • 10 @ 308lbs
  • 10 @ 308lbs

Notes:  Again, no idea on the actual weight since it's a cable machine, but wanted to get some isolated quad work.  Another 50lbs and I'll have the machine maxed out.  :P

DB Lunges

• 12 @ 50lb DBs
  • 12 @ 50lb DBs

Notes:  Cut this one set short as I bumped my knee pretty hard on the 2nd set and it started throbbing pretty good.  I hit it on a coffee table 2 weeks ago and it got bruised and felt funky for a few days, but figured it was nothing.  Hopefully it doesn't turn into anything.

11/6/2014

DOMS.  Yep.  It hit me hard on the drive home yesterday.  Neck tensed up and was super sore all night.  Back is bit sore today as are the legs.  Was debating about doing Bench Day, but figured it wouldn't hurt to hold off one day. 

Definitely rest. If you have tiger balm I find it has helped me a lot with DOMS.

-The Muscle Professor-

OtherWorldIron.com 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi-

I often find my DOMS will feel better after I work out, but of course I'm also a sadist. Or am I a masochist? Maybe both.

I'm normally right there with you.  DOMS has never been something that really bothered me.  I'd get sore, and just screw it and just warm-up for an extra 10 minutes and be fine once I got into the flow of things.  Today just felt different.  Maybe I'm finally getting older and wiser.  :P 

Definitely rest. If you have tiger balm I find it has helped me a lot with DOMS.

Yeah.  We have some of that stuff.  My wife uses it.  I've never tried it.  Maybe I'll give it a shot when I get home. 

11/8/2014

Total time:  45 Minutes

Warm-up

• DeFranco's Simple Six

Bench

• 10 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 190lbs
  • 5 @ 205lbs
  • 5 @ 215lbs

Notes:  Really wanted 7 today for the last set, and thought I was going to get it with how easy 205 felt.  But alas, 215 was rough.  Barely got the 5th rep and I know my butt came off the bench on it.  Such is life. 

Ring Push-ups

Notes:  Seeing EE's post about getting the rings going inspired me to give mine a shot finally.  Man.  Talk about some shakes.  Just collapsed on the last set.

Kroc Rows

• 20 @ 90lb DBs
  • 20 @ 90lb DBs
  • 20 @ 90lb DBs

Notes:  Half reps with each arm.  Wanted to do pull-ups but my house sucks and there isn't really any good place to do them (the ceilings are too low).  So I threw these in.  Felt really good to get a bit heavier on these.

Ring Dips

Notes:  Only managed to do very close to 1 rep.  Just couldn't get that last bit of lockout.  Should have probably done these before Ring Push-ups.

Now try doing pushups on your rings, but at the bottom extend one arm out, bring it back, and do the other. Fuck me running, they'll make you hurt.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I almost feel like rings deserve their own day.  I imagine after bench there's not quite enough in the tank to pull off the ring dips.  Would you gamble with doing those first in the lineup, then bench?  Or would you not want your bench numbers to suffer from it?

Now try doing pushups on your rings, but at the bottom extend one arm out, bring it back, and do the other. Fuck me running, they'll make you hurt.

I might have to give those a shot next time.  Sounds painfully interesting.

Let me know how the tiger balm works for you.

It felt good.  Kind of stunk, but whatever.  That said, I woke up the next morning still sore, so I should have done some mobility work / rumble rolling, etc. instead of just thinking the Tiger Balm was a fix all.  But yeah... it'll probably get used again in the future for the bad days.  :)

I almost feel like rings deserve their own day.  I imagine after bench there's not quite enough in the tank to pull off the ring dips.  Would you gamble with doing those first in the lineup, then bench?  Or would you not want your bench numbers to suffer from it?

Yeah.  I want to stick with the big lifts first.  I don't normally have issues with doing regular dips right after bench so I think if I moved it 2nd exercise I'd at least get a few, but who knows.  Ring Dips are whole new level, but I like that it forces you into keeping a tight core and better form to get the dip done.

11/9/2014

Wanted to get my Squat workout in on Sunday, but daughter slept like garbage on Saturday night.  Decided it was play time from 2:30am until 3:30am, then decided that it was upset scream time until 5:30am.  We think it was tooth related.  Plus I had to be up at 7:30am to run slides at our Church.  Yeah, I was a bit of a zombie most of the day yesterday.  But my super awesome wife made some delicious homemade pizza and the Packers absolutely smoked 'Da Bears'.  So yeah... not a bad day.  :)

11/10/2014

Squat Day!  First time in awhile and man it felt great. 

Total time:  60 Minutes

Warm-up

• Leg Swings
  • Hip Openers
  • Hops

Squat

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 95lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 5 @ 185lbs
  • 5 @ 235lbs (Belted)
  • 5 @ 250lbs (Belted
  • 7 @ 270lbs (Belted)

Notes:  Oh man, that last set felt great.  Saw some stars on the last rep, but never had a fear of not getting up.  

Triple Klokov Press to OH Squat

• 1 @ 95lbs
  • 0 @ 115lbs (Got the 3 Presses, but no way I would have gotten the Squat so didn't attempt it)
  • 1 @ 95lbs
  • 1 @ 95lbs (Did 2 OH Squats)

Notes:  I love this exercise.  Definitely feels like I'm working stuff in the back and I love OH Squats.  I really thought 95 felt super light on the first set, so tried my hand at 115 and that felt like it was sure death if I dropped into the hole with that overhead.  Who knows.  Someday, I'll get a platform built with enough ceiling space and some bumper plates to really mess around with OH Squats.

Neutral Grip Pull-Ups

• 2 (with a static hold)

Notes:  Got through a full set of these.  Definitely was feeling it in my upper back on the static hold which is new.  I normally never have tension there so maybe I'm finally doing something right with these.

Abs

• Plank for 1:00
  • 25 Crunches
  • 5 Leg Raises

Notes:  Done in succession.  No breaks.