Forums are back in action! ×

Rooks - Tracking the Daily Grind...

Have fun! That's what I've learned from wildross's competition...Have fun.

Get your opener, push the second, balls to the wall for the final! Ride the adrenalin rush, and have a great time.

Take simple good to eat between lifts. Jim's first comp found him getting the shakes because we didn't bring the right snacks. I'll ask him to drop in and tell you what works best for him.

Still praying for you and your baby girl! Drop over at the thread and give us an update!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Bananas, nuts, Lara bars and boiled eggs seem to do it for me. And maybe some protein powder in V8 fusion. The big thing is that you are really going to have 3 separate lifting sessions, spread over 4 to 6 hours. So it is lift, eat/recover. For me protein after bench and before dead lift really makes a differnece.

Good luck! May all your weights be big and your lights be white!

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Bananas, nuts, Lara bars and boiled eggs seem to do it for me. And maybe some protein powder in V8 fusion. The big thing is that you are really going to have 3 separate lifting sessions, spread over 4 to 6 hours. So it is lift, eat/recover. For me protein after bench and before dead lift really makes a differnece.

Good luck! May all your weights be big and your lights be white!

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Have fun! That's what I've learned from wildross's competition...Have fun.

Get your opener, push the second, balls to the wall for the final! Ride the adrenalin rush, and have a great time.

Take simple good to eat between lifts. Jim's first comp found him getting the shakes because we didn't bring the right snacks. I'll ask him to drop in and tell you what works best for him.

Still praying for you and your baby girl! Drop over at the thread and give us an update!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks you too!  I know for sure that the long wait are going to be weird.  In the simulated meets, it's literally start warming as soon as the one is done, so I'll be interested to see how I manage that.  Suppose its just a matter of staying loose and paying attention to make sure you have the proper time before your flight.  

Good luck brother.

Sent from my N9520 using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Debating about doing an OHP max attempt in the back if I can find an empty rack after I'm all said and done just for you Gorilla.   :tongue:

Probably not. I've been out of town since Sunday and I'd like to spend a little time with Laura.

It's all good.  With the new gig and everything I figured that'd be the case.  I am going to touch base with you soon about the KB class again.  Still bummed I had to cancel the last attempt.

If I can hit two PRs fasted with no warmups at my last contest... You got this.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

8/9.  Got greedy on bench and shouldn't have.  Then got cautious on deadlift when I shouldn't have.  Such is life.

Squat

• 152.5 kg (336.20 lbs)
  • 162.5 kg (358.25 lbs) -- 8 lb PR
  • 172.5 kg (380.30 lbs) -- 30 lb PR.

Notes:  Stoked about everything here.  Went exactly as planned in fact, even better.  Originally had planned to go 335, 355, 375, but the kg conversion forced me to go heavier.  Either way... nailed this.

Bench

• 102.5 kg (225.97 lbs)
  • 112.5 kg (248.02 lbs)
  • 125.0 kg (275.58 lbs) -- FAILED

Notes:  I had really wanted to nail 275lbs here, but knew it was a stretch after the 112.5kg lift.  Should have gone 120kg instead, probably would have got that.  That would have been a better approach for my total.

Deadlift

• 175.0 kg (385.81 lbs)
  • 192.5 kg (424.39 lbs)
  • 200.0 kg (440.93 lbs)

Notes:  Here I should have gone bigger with the final attempt.  200 went way easier then I thought it would so a PR at 205 kg probably would have been doable. 

Video and full write-up coming later after I have a few beers.  :)

• Like 5

8/9.  Got greedy on bench and shouldn't have.  Then got cautious on deadlift when I shouldn't have.  Such is life.

Squat

• 152.5 kg (336.20 lbs)
  • 162.5 kg (358.25 lbs) -- 8 lb PR
  • 172.5 kg (380.30 lbs) -- 30 lb PR.

Notes:  Stoked about everything here.  Went exactly as planned in fact, even better.  Originally had planned to go 335, 355, 375, but the kg conversion forced me to go heavier.  Either way... nailed this.

Bench

• 102.5 kg (225.97 lbs)
  • 112.5 kg (248.02 lbs)
  • 125.0 kg (275.58 lbs) -- FAILED

Notes:  I had really wanted to nail 275 here, but knew it was a stretch after the 112.5.  Should have gone 120kg instead, probably would have got that.  That would have been a better approach for my total.

Deadlift

• 175.0 kg (385.81 lbs)
  • 192.5 kg (424.39 lbs)
  • 200.0 kg (440.93 lbs)

Notes:  Here I should have gone bigger with the final attempt.  200 went way easier then I thought it would so a PR at 205 kg probably would have been doable. 

Video and full write-up coming later after I have a few beers.  :)

Very, VERY nice!

Better to leave something on the platform than fail out!

• Like 1

Very, VERY nice!

Better to leave something on the platform than fail out!

How'd your meet go?  Or is that still waiting to happen?  I get all screwed up on what time it is for you.... and I'm 3 beers in at this point so I can't be asked to figure this out right now.  :)

I believe you cleared 1100 lbs there sir. Nice work.

Unfortunately not.  1069.  Had I been smarter about my bench and got an extra 10-15 there and done better at deads I would have got it.

How'd your meet go?  Or is that still waiting to happen?  I get all screwed up one what time it is for you.... and I'm 3 beers in at this point so I can't be asked to figure this out right now.  :)

I went 132.5kg squat, 72.5kg bench (meh), 135kg deadlift. Lots more there on each lift, just had a shit day on bench. Suspect there's 140kg on both squat and deadlift very, very soon. 

Full video up on my thread (or can PM you if you don't have the time to check that). :)

• Like 1

Strong work, bro. When's the next one?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

August 29th, 2015

Time:  60 minutes

(load/reps x sets)

Competition Bench - 240/2 x 2

Competition Bench w/ Slingshot - 240/3 x 3

LBBS, beltless - 275/3 x 2

HBBS, beltless - 275/1

Wanted 5 sets of 2 at 240, but pretty clear that's just too much.  First set was fine, but 2nd start was already starting to get pretty grindy.  So I switched over to the slingshot and annihildated some triples for the last 3 sets.  Also, meant to do way more squatting, but my low back starting getting grumpy so no point in pushing it right now.  Tomorrow I'll be going for a run.  Hoping to get a 5k in around 32 - 33 minutes.  Might be a stretch, but going to try and keep a very steady pace.  We'll see what happens.  Still building my program for the next few weeks to incorporate more runs and some Oly work and I'll probably be doing most of my lifting on shorter rests to up the cardio level of everything.  That said, felt good to get under the bar today.

• Like 1

August 30th, 2015

Oh running... you silly silly exercise.  How basic, but how grueling.  I only did a good 1.5 miles and was just gassed.  Quads were telling me they had just done 3 widowmaker sets.  Definitely got some work to do.  That said, I was happy that my pacing was pretty solid.  Maintained a pace just above 10min/miles for most of that 1.5 miles.  Hope to get down to 9min/mi pace for a 5k before my race in October.  We'll see.  

http://rnkpr.com/aaoe1vl

So... finally got my barbell gun rack up on the wall this weekend.  

If you'll notice the middle "bar".  Yeah... I actually pulled the trigger and bought a ShoulderRok.  Pretty sweet tool, although I wish the knurling was a bit more aggressive.  I tried messing around with both yesterday and today and it does take a lot of work to do those swings.  I'm still got a lot of work to get better at it, but we'll see how much impact it has on my shoulder health.  

dy9dzb.jpg

• Like 2

September 3rd, 2015

Time:  60 minutes

(load/reps x sets)

LBBS - 330/2 x 3

HBBS - 315/2 x 3

Competition Bench - 185/6 x 3

Competition Bench w/ Slingshot - 185/10 x 2

Close Grip Cable Row - 130 Setting/10 x 3

Everything in this workout was E3MOM.  Trying to speed up all my workouts for the foreseeable future to get a bit more cardio.  Amazing how that comp changed how I feel about squatting.  330 felt stupid light today.  Felt like I could have done it for sets of 6 or 7.  That said, life has been crazy lately.  I wanted to do this on Monday.  Finally got in today to do it.  Tomorrow is not going to work so might get a run in on Saturday, then a another workout Sunday or Monday.  

Overall the format of my program is going to be 2 powerlifting days per week until after the race.  Using Prilepin's table (actually INOL which is a derivative of Prilepin's table talked about here) to aim for an INOL of 2 - 2.5 per week for Bench and Squat.  One day will be heavier (up around 85-90%) for sets of 2, one day will lighter (around 65-75%) for sets of 6, alternated per exercise (i.e. light squat = heavy bench, and vice versa).  I'm removing deads for the time being.  I'll have a Oly day where I maybe do some snatch grip deads, then 1 or 2 running days.  Might combine 1 running day in with Oly day.  I don't know.  Still not totally sure.  Playing around with the non powerlifting days at the moment to see how things shake out.  Oly days will be very light and much more focused on form.  

I'll post up the full program once I've got it made up for those interested.

Interested.

I was gonna ask, how the training mentality has been after the meet, but I think the upcoming race has kept you from that after meet lull

Interested.

I was gonna ask, how the training mentality has been after the meet, but I think the upcoming race has kept you from that after meet lull

After hitting 380... now I know I'm so close to 4 plates.  No lull for this fat guy.  :)

Plus Prilepin's table has been super intriguing to me.  It seems to be a very easy way to not over train.  Just don't go above "X" value.  Seemed like as good of a time as any to try out a full blown program of myself to see if I keep gaining strength.  

• Like 1

After hitting 380... now I know I'm so close to 4 plates. No lull for this fat guy. :)

I want that 4 plate squat so bad as well. Your 20lbs closer than I am

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fuck, I would be happy just to have a squat rack at this point.  Even though I hate squats.

You seem like a handy guy.  Just build some simple squat stands.  

Press1.jpg

September 5th, 2015
Time:  40 minutes

Terribly slow, but it was terribly hot.  Once I got past mile 2, my feet hurt too much to keep pushing hard.  Hopefully, my feet get used to the Vibrams again quickly.  Might have to do a couple with my Acsics running shoes.  

=====================================================================================

September 6th, 2015
Time:  60 minutes

(load/reps x sets)
LBBS - 265/5 x 3
HBBS - 250/5 x 3
Competition Bench - 230/2 x 3
Competition Bench w/ Slingshot - 230/5 x 3
Ed Coan Barbell Hold - 95/30 seconds x 2

Besides the barbell hold, sets were E3MOM.  Everything was easy here.  Next week I'll bump the time down to 2:45 between sets to see how much that impacts things.  Barbell hold was pretty as per usual.  Did it today on my Fringe Bomba barbell which doesn't have knurling in the middle, but is 28.5mm instead of the standard 29mm Powerlifting bar.  Overall, still brutal.  Dropped it at like 28 seconds on my left hand of the 2nd set.  Overall, another good day.
  • Like 1

The hat coming off was great. Hoped you kept it like that the entire vid.

It looks considerably longer than a sledgehammer. Is it a completely different feel?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk