Forums are back in action! ×

A wanderer looking a path to follow

Hi!

I'm a heavy guy that's currently trying to lose some weight and improve my general fitness. I've recently taken a long walk in the right direction, but am in need of some kind of guidance on how to continue.

I'm 30, and at one point weighed almost 26 stone. I used to start sweating when just walking around the corner from work to the greasy spoon cafe to get some chips! It even took effort to tie my shoe laces!

Right now I weigh under 22 stone, and recently managed a solid 65 minute cross trainer session (Level 12, 60 second interval program, no stopping)! I'm the fittest I've been in about a decade, and I'm eating better than I ever have!

So, despite me getting on quite well with my fitness in the past while, I want to focus more on it, and I want to come up with a training regime that isn't just an hour on the cross trainer once or twice a week.

I'm planning to participate in the next 6 week challenge, but don't even know what kind of goals I should be setting. I'm just looking to improve general fitness, work on flexibility and movement and lose some more weight.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 2 Adventurer

Current Challenge Thread

Hey Nomorepies,

I'm more or less in the same situation as you, i got to 100kg last Christmas and decided it was enough.

One thing that helped me a lot was to set a "date fixed goal" like a race that you want to compete (my personal favorite are the spartan races), that way you have a reason to push yourself harder every training session and you are less likely to procrastinate if the race date is around the corner  :playful:

Now I'm 85kg and training 4 times a week, and I must say... a lot much happier.

Name: Red Alastor Race: Human / Ursus Kin 

Class: Hoplite Recruit >>> Target Class: Hoplite Elite

(STR):13 (DEX):12 (CON):12 (KNO):11 (WIS):15 (CHA):11

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." -Lena Horne

Especially as a beginner, you can expect comparatively rapid results in both weight loss and strength gains if you stick to a program.  But that's the trick - you need to be disciplined about your nutrition and exercise.

So, I think your overall goal for the next 6 weeks should be about establishing good habits.  It all starts with nutrition - keep taking a good look at what you're eating and try to make smart choices.  Try to workout at least 3 times a week.  It almost doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something.  If you can stick to something like this, you'll see results.

Once you have the habits down, you can start aiming for specific benchmarks: lift a certain amount, reduce your waist measurement by a certain amount.

Pie, 

Looks to me like you are plowing ahead and making your own path....good. You know what you need to do and I encourage you to keep doing it. You will find much wisdom on here and friends that are genuinely invested in encouraging your progress. Welcome and glad that you are now part of the rebellion. JPrev is right about habits. they are the foundation that will keep you on your path an define your journey. Once you have the discipline down, the rest is simply lifting some weight or running some miles, and that is easy.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Hi, fellow newbie!

I hope you decided to join the challenge.  I had no idea how to set my goals either, so I just jumped in with some basic good habits (consistently working out, improving stamina and eating right).

(Also, curious: is "No More Pies"  in reference to the Iron Maiden song "No More Lies"?  I can't read your username without singing it that way in my head.)

Level 0 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenge 1: Road to Warrior Princess

(Also, curious: is "No More Pies" in reference to the Iron Maiden song "No More Lies"? I can't read your username without singing it that way in my head.)

Haha, no, I had never made that connection. The name is actually just summing up my plan to improve my diet. I don't even eat a lot of pies, but in the UK pies and fat people go hand in hand, with people using pies to make fun of fatties. E.g. The popular demeaning chant "Who eat all the pies! Who ate all the pies!"

Anyway, I've created a challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40296-the-wander-has-happened-on-a-settlement/#entry781481. Thanks for the suggestions that helped form my goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 2 Adventurer

Current Challenge Thread