Forums are back in action! ×

Aspiring Warrior

Hi everyone!

My Story

As I turned to weights while rehabilitating from my latest running injury, I realized how much I really like lifting.  I've decided to stop running as a primary sport, after nearly 15 years, and go the way of the warrior.  I've lifted to supplement other sports since high school, but I started lifting for lifting's sake about three years ago, and have started seriously working with barbells in the past 6 months or so.  

I'm even going to enter my first powerlifting meet in December, which will be the target of my first 6 week challenge.  My main goal is to get the feeling for a powerlifting meet and go 9/9 on my lifts.  I've never lifted with verbal commands and judges, and so I figure that there is time for weight goals later.  

Since my husband is the only one I know in real life who cares about lifting, I am looking forward to joining the warrior community here.  However, the two of us got in a bit of a disagreement about whether I'm "nerdy" enough for a place like this.  He is currently watching Star Trek without me, as I am not wild about Star Trek.  I feel like this makes him geeky.  He thinks it makes him nerdy.  But, I majored in math, am pursuing a post-grad degree in IT, and love programming, which I feel like puts me in the "nerd" category.  In our prolonged disagreement, we stumbled upon this helpful graphic, and so perhaps we both would fit in.

geeks_and_nerds.png

I will encourage him to join too.

Current Stats

I am a female who is sitting at 163-167 lbs right now, depending on the day.  I would like to compete at 165, but I have also read that you shouldn't cut for your first meet.  I don't know if trying to get to 161-165 qualifies as a real cut though.

I'm pretty excited about my current lifting ability, but I would like to get Spezzy-strong on my deadlifts and bench.  Rawr!

Squat: 225 1RM (Big goal of TWO PLATES, tested Monday.  One of the gym trainers said that I could have gotten more reps out if I had "only" gone to parallel, which I am taking as a sign that my depth was okay.)

Bench: 120 1RM (Tested Monday)

Deadlift: 225 5RM

I haven't tested my deadlift 1RM, as I'm really trying to hone my form first.  I'm working with a personal trainer specifically on form once a week right now, and he said that I am leading with my butt, and so I am trying to practice keeping my chest up.

Current Battle Plans

Modified Texas method.  

Mondays: Low volume, high intensity

Wednesdays: Low volume, low intensity

Fridays: High volume and moderate intensity, with a lot of form work with the trainer.

Saturday: High volume and moderate intensity.

Why am I working out on both Friday and Saturday?  Last Friday the trainer had my husband and me doing benches and bench accessory work for an hour, and so I went back to the gym on Saturday for squats and pulling exercises.  The week before, we did just squats and deadlifts on Friday, so I went back on Saturday morning for some upper body stuff.  I'd be open to switching stuff around if anyone has some better suggestions!

I am also trying to eat more protein.  I need to pick up some whey protein or something.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better!