Forums are back in action! ×

Entering God Mode

Hey guys,

I'm brand new here only having found this website a few days ago but I love the community it fosters seems like such a fantastic motivational tool. I plan on using it to foster my own goals.

I've read through quite a few other people's goals and mine differs a bit. Though I grew up very nerdy I've always been semi athletic competing in team sports my whole team but never really succeeding at anything.

The one pastime I really enjoyed was combat sports (potentially spurned from the amount of Naruto and Dragonball Z I've read/watched). Upon reaching University I started competing in MMA/Freestyle Wrestling/ Sambo and I loved it. This made me want to get in better shape. Which has since caused me to start exercising regularly outside of training. 

I went to compete at the New Zealand nationals this year and took away three titles, but my athleticism isn't good enough to now compete at the next level. My coach laid down a basic outline of where I should be at.

80 pushups in a minute

40 pullups consecutive

Squat 25 reps at 70 kg

Bench 120kg

Run 2k in under 6 mins

I am a long way off all of these goals but have the time and now the motivation to do it. I train mostly bodyweight stuff and that has lead to me setting some secondary goals as well.

Front Lever

Flagpole (on an actual pole)

Muscle up

Splits (front/back and sideways)

1 arm muscle up

My excitement is high and I'm looking forward to the journey feel free to message me if you're interested in any of this stuff or can help me out I'm always down for a yarn.

post-23332-0-07499000-1383281215_thumb.j

Welcome :)

If you are able to gain motivation from reading a post about someone's first pull up, and use it to pump yourself up for your own workouts then you have found the right place.

Also there are a number of us here who are aiming for around about the same goals. (Minus the 1 arm muscle up, which I presume you meant 1 arm pull/chin up)

Hope to see you around!

Although if you did mean 1 arm muscle up, you are going to be quite the beast...

I'm a long time martial artist and just recently decided to go after the whole "do the full splits" things as well. What's your plan for chasing that? I'd love to hear what's working and not working for you. I've got a daily 20+ minute stretching routine that seems to be working so far, but it's pretty early to tell now until I actually hit it. Front splits are always so close. Those side splits are a lot harder. My fitness dream list would be to do standing splits, but now that's just crazy talk!

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Yeah you weren't wrong Yuen I meant 1 arm pullups but damn that guy is a beast made that look so casual. Great long term goal. And Quirky I chose my four favourite stretches (toe touch sitting down, front split, side spilt and butterfly) and just held for thirty seconds after every run I went on. Not the fastest way to get it but it works well over a long period. Another way I tried which saw much faster results was isometric stretching. I found this way very painful though so cut it out pretty quick. (After so quick internet research apparently passive stretching is the one I like.) 

I've just started the 6 weeks to do the splits program. There are isomterics involved, but It isn't painful. Yet. Part of the literature says that it will get that way about half way through when you need to push it hard to get your legs to just "give in". it just so happens, I enjoy this kind of pain, so I'm looking forward to it more than dreading it. :)

We should compare notes in a month or two and see how it goes. I'm thinking this will be part of my first 6 week challenge.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."