Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone!

I found my way here to Nerd Fitness by way of a PS3 gaming site a few days ago. I like the atmosphere and decided that I'm going to stick around for a while.

What brought me here? Well last year my company started doing health screenings, which were basic numbers, height, weight, waist size, and BP. This year it expanded to include cholesterol levels. Last year I weighted 247 (clothed) and had a waist of 45 inches. My BP was high, but I had 2 screaming, fussy kids with me, so I blew that off as being related to stress. I went to my Dr a few weeks later and my BP was 118 / 79, further convincing me I was stressed that day.

In early May 2013 I started tracking calories and doing C25K. 4 weeks into the program, my wife had our 4th child and the added responsibilities of 12am, 2am, 4am, 5:30am, etc feedings made running the last thing I wanted to do. I did loose about 10 pounds in those few short weeks.

Last week, was the 2nd health screen. Any guesses to what my numbers were? Yup, EXACTLY the same as last year, including the BP, but no kids and no stress this time. That was a wake-up call. Only good thing was my cholesterol was at 161.  

Sure I've worked out / watched what I ate to loose weight. In 2006 I thought I was heavy at 211 (boy, if I only knew...) and for three solid months I was bike riding, strength training and watching what I ate and got down to 190ish. 

I want to keep going much longer than a few weeks, a few months. I really want to be around for my  4 kids, wife and someday, grandkids.

I'm 38, 6' tall and 240 pounds. My plan is to get back into tracking calories which may morph into paleo diet, body weight training and finishing a C25K program and do some races. Maybe expand into 10/15k. Goal weight is 175-180

Looking forward to the 6 week challenges, and making new friends here.

-Bill 

Boa - Adventurer - Level 0

STR 0 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - CON 0 - WIS 0 - CHA 0

First Challenge