Forums are back in action! ×

Getting back to the Me my husband married...

Hi! So, this is very out of character for me to post personal stuff on the WWW. But... it seems like change begins with getting out of your comfort zone, so seems like a fun way to start.

My goal - get back to the adventurous tough chick I was in my early 30s.

I'm 41 now and still adventurous in general, but fitness wise, I went from a person capable of mountaing biking 20 miles of technical single track with a bunch of guys and kicking ass to sitting on the sidelines afraid to even try. I also did Traditional Chinese Martial Arts for 4 years and I really stuck it out. At one point I was in a class of all Chinese teenage boys. I'm neither Chinese, a teenager, nor a boy, so let's just say I stood out, but I sucked up my embarrassment and did it. I never got great, but what the hell.

Then I went through an interlude of losing those 2 important things. My MA teacher moved too far away and I was too spoiled to find a suitable replacement, and then Hubbie and I opened a business and I stopped doing basically anything aside from that, particularily I stopped mountain biking.

5 years and 40 lbs later I'm looking in the mirror and saying "who's that?!?!". In fact I saw a snapshot of my husband on a bike ride standing next to this chubby girl and I asked him, "whos she?" and he thought I was joking when he said, "That's you!". Ugh. Wow. Ick... TRUE story.

So, ok, time to get back.

My plan for getting back in action:

1- STOP putting the business, house, garden, bookkeeping, dog, family, redecorating, partying, sewing, building.... just about anything FIRST- Before me. After all, at the end of the day, I'm all I've got.

2- Cross-fit. I just started a 6 week challenge for beginners at my local Cross-fit and so far so good. I like the way it's a mix of men and women in the class. I don't like to be second to guys in anything (or at least assume I'll be second without trying), so having them there is a good motivator. I love the exercises, they're hard-core old fashioned, drop and gimme 20 type moves that make me feel tough and exhausted. And there's a healthy mix of competition and comeraderie which really motivates me.

3- LCHF (Low Carb High Fat Diet) I've made several half-baked attempts (I ate the baked half) at losing weight by various methods, but I could always see into the future enough to know that they were not eating plans I could stick to for the rest of my life. But I can totally live without grains and sugar if I get to eat scrumptious fish and steaks and cheeses and vegetables. To me that's the food of foodies, so I'm down. I only just started and I have high hopes!

Thanks for listening (reading) and I look forward to keeping in touch and making this the most important part of my life for at least the near future.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

3- LCHF (Low Carb High Fat Diet) I've made several half-baked attempts (I ate the baked half) at losing weight by various methods

lol i know that feel. but it sounds like you've got the motivation, you've got the grit, and you've got the willpower to kick the next 6 week's ass. you've taken a great first step already by posting here and getting yourself out of your comfort zone. actually, you've made several good first steps, signing up for crossfit, having a sustainable healthy diet plan in place, all of it! you're doing great so far, i can't wait to see how far you'll go!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8