Forums are back in action! ×

Black tie event! Halp!

Hey folks! Long time no post, and it makes me sad all day. Swooping in to ask for a last-minute favor.

I'm going to my very first black-tie event tonight (found out about it two days ago), and I have my dress lined up. Thing is, it's strapless (and kind of low-cut in the back as well), and I have tattoos on my chest. It's for work, and I can say with certainty that I don't work in an environment where showing up to a community event with my tattoos in full view would be even remotely appropriate. Also, I've never been to one of these things and I'm terrified of embarrassing myself/my office/my ancestors. Pinky out when drinking? Little fork, then big fork? Appropriate amount of movement when dancing?

What I'm looking for is a) any tips on covering tattoos in a strapless dress, and B) tips on black tie etiquette in general, i.e. please help me to not be a socially awkward penguin tonight.

Hope all is well in NF-land! I bought a car a little while ago and just as soon as I find it, I'm going to slap my NF sticker on the back and start calling it the Nerdmobile.

I know the best advice i got for a black tie event and for all formal affairs in general is if you wouldn't do said activity in front of you mother then don't do it there.  

Know its a bit vague also be yourself they are your co workers they have to know one or two things about you so don't deviate from normal work behavior and you shouldn't have any issues.  

The tattoo issue i am no help on sorry but its awesome you have one ;)

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

silverwear.

work outward in. the smaller fork on the outside is the salad fork- next one is for the main course.

big spoon up top is typically for the soup dish (if there is one) 

but basically outside- to the inside. 

Check out kat Von D's cover up stuff- and cover them up as best you can- or buy some chiffon fabric (a nice something something from claires would be perfect- pin to the inside top neckline- then pin on the back and let it drape.  Gives coverage- but doesn't hide them like you are embarrassed- or do both- the sheer fabric will hide the make up so it's not so obvious you covered up tattoos.  

Jo, you are a treasure. I ended up borrowing a pashmina and tying it in such a way that made it look like I was trying to be classy and refined, not covering up the by-products of my 19-year-old self's decisions.

I have another thing coming up in December, so at least I have some time to head down to Ulta and see about some Dermablend concealer. (Great, just what I needed... another reason to buy makeup. LOL)

And thanks, thetemplarreservist! Luckily, I kept it together pretty well, other than stepping on my dress a couple of times. Even managed to keep my lipstick on through a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres. (I totally spelled hors d'oeuvres right without looking. Twice. Man, I'm good.)

Good.  Wraps are good.

I've heard great reviews about derma blend- but last I heard was the girls were having a hard time getting the right color- check the store WELL in advance- too bad- Ulta was just having a 20% off whole order!!! Ended yesterday- I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to stop and get more eye brushes from Sam Chapman's line- and then try out UDPP... But I'm seriously broke as a joke.  I'm putting gas and food on the CC right now- buying make up/tools would have been a REALLY irresponsible idea! LOL

I'm 23 and still sort of want a tattoo. I've wanted one since I was 14 but I can't decide on one.

I'm pretty sure this means I'll probably never get a tattoo.

Oh well.

I'm no help at all. Sorry.

Maybe a cute shawl or something? >.<

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

If you don't have cover up that works, don't bother with makeup. It'll be too obvious. I have some called Dermablend that I got at Macy's that does a good job, but seat belts rub it off :( Learned that after a job interview. AFTER, luckily. My tat goes along my collar bone to curl around my shoulder, so its usually shows no matter what I wear. I'm super picky on what to wear to teacher job fairs and interviews. Have to do a lot of buttoned up shirts but I love my tattoo and will not remove it. I do want more tats. Actually I may make that my 30lb reward... something on my other shoulder.

Texas Mom of Boys, Druid Chick

Jo, you are a treasure. I ended up borrowing a pashmina and tying it in such a way that made it look like I was trying to be classy and refined, not covering up the by-products of my 19-year-old self's decisions.

I have another thing coming up in December, so at least I have some time to head down to Ulta and see about some Dermablend concealer. (Great, just what I needed... another reason to buy makeup. LOL)

And thanks, thetemplarreservist! Luckily, I kept it together pretty well, other than stepping on my dress a couple of times. Even managed to keep my lipstick on through a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres. (I totally spelled hors d'oeuvres right without looking. Twice. Man, I'm good.)

Glad everything went well and doesn't sound like any major fo pas.  congrats.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

Wal-Mart has a line called Hard Candy, the Hard Candy Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer is supposed to be quite good at covering up tattoos and things and it's pretty cheap.  The biggest problem people seem to have with it is getting the right one to match their skin tone.  I bought a tube to cover up my massively bruised knees and it worked, but definitely the colour just wasn't quite right.  But then again, my skin tone is Pasty White.

Also I saw UDPP mentioned and just have to ooze my love for it all over the place.  I use it almost daily.  My mom, however, is one of a small group of people who are allergic and can't wear it.  She uses a primer from Clinique instead.  I'm SO glad they finally got rid of the stupid wand bottles that resulted in soooo much wasted product and went to the squeeze tubes.

I have that stuff- and it's EXTREMELY oil based.

I would mix it with either your regular foundation- or two products.

I'ts hella hard to get off- I think I threw mine away when i got the Rimmel One- I was still scraping it off after I scrubbed it with soap in the shower (and I applied it over my tattoo- on purpose- to see- so yeah- it's quiet dark)

Sheltie- if you still have the genie one- just depot the rest of the product by slicing it open and scraping it out.

I'm going to invest in UDPP, TFShadow Insurance- or Smashbox next go round. I have MAC's and it's meh.