Forums are back in action! ×

Testosterone, Estrogen & weight lifting

OK here's a question for you all...

I know that in general a normal healthy female who lifts weights will not develop huge muscles like a bodybuilder due to less testosterone and more estrogen in her system.(Look at Spezzy for a classic example)

But what happens to a post menopausal woman who lifts?

There is low or no estrogen in that woman's bloodstream. What happens to her body when she starts or continues to lift heavy weights?

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I'm by no means an expert and I may be completely off the mark but my understanding was that it was testosterone that was the important hormone when it came to bulking up. I wouldn't have thought that there is a high enough increase in testosterone in post-menopausal women to cause them to develop huge muscles. If I remember correctly the average male produces about 10 times as much testosterone as the average female.

my understanding was that it was testosterone that was the important hormone when it came to bulking up. I wouldn't have thought that there is a high enough increase in testosterone in post-menopausal women to cause them to develop huge muscles.

Makes sense but that's why I'm asking, is it the ratio of testosterone to estrogen or the absolute amount that matters? Post menopausal women will have about the same amount of testosterone as they ever had but basically no estrogen (yes I know I'm simplifying but that is more or less true)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

The way that testosterone and estrogen interact in the body is extremely complex and best addressed by an endocronoligist, but I do have a few things to say on the subject. It's not JUST testosterone and estrogen, but sex hormone binders floating around in your blood and other androgens which influence this 'testosterone estrogen balance'. From what I understand, the ratio of testosterone to estrogen, combined with sex hormone binders, is what dictates how you will react to a given stimulus (like a lady or like a guy). All that said, I have no idea how post-menopausalness will be effected by weight lifting, but given the number of older women who have taken up strength training to stave off bone thinning, and the lack of SUPER RIPPED LOOKING older women (I know, my science has holes in it, but this is a rough thing!) I would say it's probably not a danger...

'Roos is correct. The total available Test is (generally speaking) the factor for muscle mass, and not simply the ratio. If there were not the case there would be no need for figure athletes to use Test, they'd simply have to block their estrogen.

The confusion occurs because a lack of estrogen tends to cause your body to shift 'less feminine' which is not the same as 'more masculine.'

Of course your individual mileage may vary, consult your family doctor.. etc.

You want ripped grannies? I got your ripped granny right here: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_674546.html

Not bad for 74, eh? But she's the exception. And she's still not a beast, just in great shape. She didn't start lifting until age 56, so she's actually a pretty good model for the OP's question.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521[/ATTACH]

----------------------------

Dumb character requirement....

post-151-13567243001551_thumb.jpg