Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Nick. I'm a 26 yr old dude from Wisconsin, and yes I grew up milking cows.

I was always scrawny as a kid. I went out for football 7-9 grade and was placed at receiver because we never passed the ball. Then my small size acted as a godsend and my cousins recruited be to join the wrestling team because I was probably the only one on the high school that could cut to 103 lbs. Loved it even though I had to work like heck, lift, diet, and got pounded on. Joined cross country and track to keep in shape for wrestling and ended up being a better runner than wrestler. Never a star, but a solid part of the team.

In college I gradually slipped away from lifting and running but played enough Ultimate Frisbee and other fun sports to stay fit. After moving to Texas for a year and than back to a different part of Wisconsin for two year and being alone and miserable I got out of shape.

I moved back to my college-town to pursue a relationship. When my heart got broken I turned to exercise and even ran a marathon on one month's training! (dumb and injury-filled mind you)

I had been looking at more ways to make my life worth living and what I could do if I quit my crappy office job. I've decided to go teach in Africa starting in September thru December. When looking through websites related to travel and unconventional living I somehow stumbled into Nerd Fitness and LOVE IT. Totally embracing the idea of leveling up. Although I was already fairly certain I was going to make this trip happen and as working out, reading Steve's articles pushed me over the edge. I'm going to live big, get ripped, and work towards my level 50 lifestyle.

ps. I am mostly a nerd, so I feel welcome here already.

Kinda goofy workout regimen for the last year. Had been doing free weight circuits in my basement-10-20 reps x 3 sets on bench, curls, military press, etc. Then got obsessed with running (the whole Marathon in a month thing).

I've worked at a summer camp most of the summer and doing other traveling, so I've been playing sports with kids and squeezing in occasional runs and a fair deal of body-weight exercises. I like this mix a lot and it will have to be what I continue with because I have another month of camp followed by 3 months in Africa (doubt I'll join a gym there).

I need to make an actual plan to the whole thing though otherwise it is hard to track and know if I'm improving. Glad to read Steve's post about coming back from his epic quest stronger using only body-weight exercises.