Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

My wife is looking to get that new Ruger American Rifle in the shorter version.  Most likely in 7mm-08.  I've heard lots of good things about that rifle and it's WAY cheaper than Remington.   Whitetails beware...your future is about to get "freezer cold"!!!

7mm-08 is a great caliber. I hunt everything with mine. I used to be a big fan of the kifaru hunting stuff and I got some load tables off of their website for it. 

I hunt everything from grouse and squirrels to elk with mine. Low recoil, enough power, and flat trajectory. It's as winner.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Squirrels???  Them some big ass squirrels then!!!

I use my Ruger 10-22 for squirrels, so much for not hunting w/ the dreaded "semi-automatic assault weapon".

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Caution, the American is a different rifle than the M77. It's similar to the Savage Edge and Marlin X7. They are budget rifles wit no real aftermarket, a stock that can't be swapped out, and a barrel nut instead of a turned shoulder. All told they are solid rifles, but not the fine piece of craftsmanship that a 77 is.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Squirrels???  Them some big ass squirrels then!!!

I use my Ruger 10-22 for squirrels, so much for not hunting w/ the dreaded "semi-automatic assault weapon".

I load them down to 950 FPS with a hard cast lead bullet at 130 grains. No expansion and great accuracy. Just punches a nice .284 hole in their cute lil noggins. I just have to make sure i have a backstop before i launch one of those skywards.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

I went hunting for the first time in October, we were hunting doves. There weren't very many and we all missed  :nightmare: . It was fun though and hopefully I can do it again.

Wake up, lift, eat, sleep and repeat                                                                                             

STR 9 | DEX 3| STA 5.5 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1.5

http://www.fitnessjourneywithwill.com

I don't hunt, though I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

I do have a Taurus .357 magnum revolver in my bedside table loaded with zombie rounds though... I've taken a 5 hour Women and Guns class at the local indoor range (which is owned by a woman) and gone shooting there a few times. Back when I was married I had an old .22 mossberg rifle that I took to the outdoor range and spent several hours shooting. I taught myself how to take it apart and clean it too. Still haven't gotten around to getting my conceal carry permit, but I don't really go anywhere that I could carry it anyway...

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I carry either a Stoeger Cougar 8000L 9mm or a S&W 642 .38spl. I keep an AR-15 with an Eotech in the closet for univited guests. I have an 870 that is currently configured for home defense but I'd like to change out the barrel for hunting (waterfowl or turkey) and I have a Henry .22lr lever action.

Vian, do you feel that you couldn't conceal it or do you spend a lot of time at schools and bars and places where you aren't allowed to carry? In most states, the "no firearms" signs that malls and movie theaters put up don't have the force of law so you could still carry there as long as the firearm remains concealed. I made a conscious decision to dress around the gun so that I wouldn't find myself without it and wishing I was carrying.

Currently my only gun is a Glock 23. In the past I've had a Para 1911, FNX-40, Taurus Raging Bull .454, and my first handgun was a Ruger P95. Never owned a rifle or shotgun. In spite of living in one of the most conservative areas on earth, there's not many places to shoot around here. At least unless you know someone with property, so I would have limited opportunity for long guns. Despite this I'm looking at an AR right now.

I haven't had the opportunity to go hunting yet, but it's certainly something I want to get into. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for it, though.

Patience is only really needed for big game hunting. I personally loathe deer hunting, but the payoff is too great not to spend the time. Small game is really where I enjoy my time in the woods. My dad and I spend a good bit of the winter with my beagle hunting rabbits and the occasional grouse that gets kicked out in the process.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

My Dad, brother, uncles and male cousins all enjoy hunting. Mostly wild pigs, and occasionally roos as a favour to the farmer who lets them shoot on his property. They are a real pest to farmers, but not much of a challenge to hunt. Dad has a 22 250. I had a go with it once when we were out spotlighting on the back of my uncle's ute and shot a hare. It was good fun! 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Patience is only really needed for big game hunting. I personally loathe deer hunting, but the payoff is too great not to spend the time. Small game is really where I enjoy my time in the woods. My dad and I spend a good bit of the winter with my beagle hunting rabbits and the occasional grouse that gets kicked out in the process.

Oddly enough the smallest thing I've ever consider hunting was deer, or possibly predator hunting. I want to get my hands on a .22 rifle at some point for plinking, so I suppose it could have some practical uses. As of right now the only hunting tool I have is my bow. While I could probably go out in my back yard and shoot a squirrel with it, I'd prefer not to waste the arrow. Would be interesting to see the result, though. I may google that.

Just got my ccl in the mail yesterday! For the most part, my dad and I share our guns, I think between us we've got over 25, one of the sweetest being a .556 sig swat pistol. I used to live by an indoor archery range and enjoyed that quite a bit, but unfortunately I had to move to Cali for work and can't do either here. Closest gun ranging being 45 min away.

I shoot IPSC (pistol, production, minor), hoping to branch out to rifles too in a year or two, but where I live, it'd be easier to move a mountain than get a gun permit, but, well, a mountain can be moved a pebble at a time, and since I've done it once before...

I've always loved shooting, but I'm too big of a wuss to shoot at cute, fluffy animals, so I punch holes in cardboard (or, if it ever comes to that, bgs), but trying to constantly improve my accuracy / speed provides all the challenge I need.

I'd love to try my hand at long-distance shooting with a decent bolt action. There's just something so zen about it all...

Cryosilver -  I recommend the 1911.  I consider it the worlds most perfect handgun.  I have a Springfield M1911-A1, which is a copy of the Colt 1911.  Works flawlessly. I also have my Grandfathers Colt 1911 he carried in WW2. It shoots just as good as the Springfield. 

.357 to me is an overrated caliber.  Just upgrade to the .45acp.   Remember, "A 9mm may kill the body, but a .45 kills the soul"!!!

• Like 1

I'd suggest the 357, but I've been a wheelgun man since the first time. Skip the Charter and try to get your grubby paws on a used Ruger Security Six, or if you like the single action platform then a Blackhawk. Sometimes you can find old Smiths for good prices, too. Any of the three used will be head and shoulders above a new Charter, Rossi, or Taurus. I don't know if anyone has shot a Ruger loose yet.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Cryosilver -  I recommend the 1911.  I consider it the worlds most perfect handgun.  I have a Springfield M1911-A1, which is a copy of the Colt 1911.  Works flawlessly. I also have my Grandfathers Colt 1911 he carried in WW2. It shoots just as good as the Springfield. 

.357 to me is an overrated caliber.  Just upgrade to the .45acp.   Remember, "A 9mm may kill the body, but a .45 kills the soul"!!!

I'd suggest the 357, but I've been a wheelgun man since the first time. Skip the Charter and try to get your grubby paws on a used Ruger Security Six, or if you like the single action platform then a Blackhawk. Sometimes you can find old Smiths for good prices, too. Any of the three used will be head and shoulders above a new Charter, Rossi, or Taurus. I don't know if anyone has shot a Ruger loose yet.

It's funny these 2 responses are back to back, my hardest decision would be having to choose between a 1911 & a solid 357 revolver. I absolutely love the 357 cartridge, expecially if you reload. And I further agree about getting a Ruger, even if you have to save a little longer.

But back to the 1911, you just can't go wrong with that gun either. Springfield makes some quality 1911's. Real shooters.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

I'd probably go with the 1911, especially something commander size 'cause it'd be a bit easier to tote around if you got a CCW permit and also, less printing than with a bigger wheelgun. And you get at least one extra round, probably two if you carry with a round in the chamber (and why wouldn't you with all those safeties?). Unless you go and pimp the gun so much it stops working (or does what happened to a friend's 1911: started firing double taps, then full auto), most modern 1911s, even on the lower price ranges tend to be pretty reliable (like the abovementioned Springfield).

My (hand)guns of choice are Glocks / XDs. I know, I know; they aren't all cool and sexy, but they do what they're supposed to do, i.e. get me through the competitions without a hiccup and put holes in things with adequate accuracy (and the 9mm is just about the only IPSC-worthy round that fits a student budget and even then just barely). That doesn't mean I don't want a 1911 in .45 at some point just because every gun nut has to have a 1911. And why is that? Because.

Funnily enough, @KAllen, the Springfield 1911-A1 would be my choice if I got the opportunity to buy one right now. Yeah, I like the ones that look like the originals, especially once the bluing wears a little.

Oi, well if that's the case you should see if you can get them to stamp out a 4" target model in 44 special for you. It's about the sexiest gun Charter has ever produced.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

You won't be sorry by going w/ a 1911.  I have 2 and they are both awesome!!!    (like I said before, 1 is a Springfield and 1 is my grandfather's WW2 issue)

As for my plastic gun (aka, my duty weapon) I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P .40cal.  I wanted to go .45 on this, but my department would have to special order rounds just for me, which would have been cool, but pricey. 

I don't like Glocks at all. They advertise "perfection" but they are on a 4th generation.  If they are perfect, why a new gen?

I just found out today that I am going to be taking possession of a 1911. Not a 1911a1 mind you, but a blued Colt Model of 1911, purchased new in 1913 by a distant bootlegger gangster relative. To say I am stoked is a real understatement.

• Like 2

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"