Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

Just picked up a white-tail from this past season at the processing joint I use down here in Houston, super-stoked to have some venison back in the freezer for post-lifting chow.  Glad to see some other gun folks on here!

@El: on 10mm Auto:

I believe the FBI started deloading the standard department ammunition after complaints of heavy recoil and cracked frames in their S&W automatics (1076s, I think); then the 40 S&W took over since terminal performance was reportedly identical between the two calibers at the velocities produced by standard ammunition.  The full-house 10mm loads, though, have velocities and muzzle energies that are significantly higher than those produced by 40 S&W ammunition loaded to maximum SAAMI chamber pressures.  Buffalo Bore has 10mm offerings with good numbers; supposedly hand-loaders can go toe-to-toe with hot .357 loads, but I'd wouldn't want to be standing next to them when they tested it.  I'd submit that the 10mm makes an excellent 'field' caliber, especially in hard-cast lead loadings.  A 10mm Glock 20SF longslide with six-inch barrel is my dream backwoods sidearm.  Hog-stopper, whoooooop! For people, I could see over-penetration being an issue with full-house loads even with jacketed hollow-points, and the weight of the respective firearm starts to make other calibers/handgun platforms more attractive.

Cons: 10mm is heavy, the guns that shoot it are heavy and usually not for the small-handed, heavy felt recoil in lighter platforms requires practice to perform accurately, and it's expensive as hell unless you hand-load, and if you do it's just expensive.  I think it's great for four-legged and two-legged critters, but for concealed carry it's probably not the best choice.

Just my opinion, but at some point it doesn't matter what caliber you use as long as you hit what you're aiming at.

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

Ditto on the 9mm. I conceal-carry a compact 9mm and have no qualms about today's defensive loads. .380 is about as low as I'd want to go, and even then only for pocket guns...

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

Ok, now I understand wanting to build a resume. That's a tough path to walk, man. Best of luck. Seems like parts of America get less free every year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nazis also wore pants. Should we dispense with those as well?

Absolutely. That's actually a marvelous idea, no more pants!

The science would seem to disagree:

10mm-1.jpg

The science would also seem to suggest that the 10mm round will spontaneously combust for a second wind after half a foot of penetration.

The science would also seem to suggest that the 10mm round will spontaneously combust for a second wind after half a foot of penetration.

But the FBI says 12 inches is the minimum penetration depth for effective...ammunition!

Reload, shoot, hunt and always go armed. Currently G22 is the work gun, and a G19 with some work done for a ccw. In the house I'm building an AR which will take a while to complete. Current armory is; Mossy 590, Ithica 37 featherweight from the 50's, Rem 788 in 243, a Sears single-shot 22, a 1965 Win 94 in thutty thutty. I'll buy more I'm sure, but I've got my bases covered for now. I don't have much time to hunt/shoot at the moment working 6 days a week but I plan to remedy that this summer.

Nazis also wore pants. Should we dispense with those as well?

Well, as a part time kilt wearer I'm game for that!!!

Remember...a 9mm can kill the body, but a .45 will kill the soul!!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Remember...a 9mm can kill the body, but a .45 will kill the soul!!!

I think there's a named Law that all online conversations about firearms will eventually devolve into a 9mm vs .45 debate...

I tried to ignore it. I tried real hard.

If someone dies from being shot it is because of one of three things: blood loss, damage to vital organs or disruption of the central nervous system. It's not because they were hit with a 9mm, 40, 45, 10mm, 338 Lapua or 50bmg.  Some rounds will certainly do more damage than others. Whatever tool enables YOU as an individual to effectively defend yourself and loved ones and defeat your enemy is the right tool for the job.

Just my .02

When I bought my first gun, the guy behind the counter tried to sell me on a .22 LR for a carry gun because "the caliber has the highest body count in the US." 

While I personally wouldn't carry a .22 for defense for a multitude of reasons, I haven't found any statistics that contradict that statement. Granted this is a numbers game, point in case, while the ballistics of some calibers may be better than others, they're all effective killing tools. There's going to be a trade off no matter what caliber you use, so find one you're content with and shoot until you're comfortable with it, then shoot some more.

With the sad little .40 S&W on the sidelines saying "I'm here too guys...  Guys?"

My duty weapon is a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40cal.  I almost got it in .45acp but my dept would have to special order ammo for only me so I went .40. 

Now my off duty weapon is my 1911(The World's Most Perfect Handgun).

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

This is my new custom rifle banging some steel.  My brother is shooting it in the video, he's a former Army Ranger who graduated USMS sniper school years ago. 

Sent in a Remington 700 bolt & receiver to a custom shop and had them install a Brux M24 barrel, heavy bolt knob, cerakote it tan, and a few other things.  I installed it on a Mcree chassis with folding stock.  For now it has a Nikon Monarch scope with a custom elevation turrent for 7mm Rem Mag shooting a 160gr accubond at 3,000 fps. 

Notice how well the rifle stays on target despite a typically high recoil cartridge- the rifle weighs about 15 pounds and has an AAC brake so it kicks like a .223.  I have put 50 rounds down the barrel without my shoulder feeling it.

Typical day for us is shooting in the mountains at steel targets from 100 to 500 yards with our ARs, then beyond that with our bolt actions.  I have not shot at a "shooting range" in 20 years and have never used a bench rest.  We only practice the way we expect to hunt: kneeling, sitting, standing, and prone off of a pack or tree stump. 

Here's my 10yo girl hitting steel at 100yds with a .22LR, no scope.  The target is smaller than a paper plate.  I told her "$10 if you can hit it" and handed her 3 bullets... she hit it all 3 times.  At that range, the bullet drops 9" and the wind pushed it 3".  She knows how to do the adjustments without any help.

• Like 1

Jesse Mattson - Philomath, OR - Rangers Lead The Way!

my website  my blog

Me too!  I recently built (assembled) myself an AR, and this year I'm trying to teach myself hunting. 

• Like 1

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Me too! I recently built (assembled) myself an AR, and this year I'm trying to teach myself hunting.

Awesome, Drift. I've been having over feeders for the last 6 years; my big goal this year is to improve my tracking skills and start learning to stalk and still hunt.

• Like 1

Speaking of .22lr, a discussion came up at work recently. A guy ended up fending off a gang of about 5 people using his Ruger 10/22. He had a few banana clips and a relatively decent scope. Fended em off from his window. Basically it came down to this, while they were using bigger meaner guns, he was able to fire more rounds with greater accuracy and speed, he made them decide it wasn't worth it. Bullets are still bullets. Especially when there's 4 or 5 whizzing past your head. Then again this other point came up. A guy actually shot another guy point blank on the forehead with a compact .22lr pistol. Yep. On the forehead. The guy had knocked him over and was on top of him. Angle made it glance off his forehead rather harmlessly. Although he supposedly still has the scar. It did make him get off in any case. Both counts are here say from the good ole boys at work.

°~°

°¬° 

This attacker took 2 rounds of .45 to the chest and managed to run away.  He was found dead hours later on a park bench.

Excellent work by the store owner, by the way.

(Surveillance video footage of the attempted armed robbery at the link)

http://proarmspodcast.com/084-the-bonaci-jewelry-store-attempted-robbery/

In May 0f 2013 and armed robber attempted to rob the Bonaci Jewelry Store in Kent, WA. The robber came in with his gun drawn, Bob Bonaci had little time to react but react he did. He performed the indicated response and the robber was found dead on a bench some time later.

That time I did 1,998 pull ups

"Take care of your meat wagon!" - Joe Rogan

Well if we're randomly talking about shooting I'll ramble on for a bit to use up some of my free time.  I think it was backpacking that got me into a minimalist mentality.  I enjoy getting rid of things I don't need, or don't need enough to be worth storing.  What I enjoy even more is finding the perfect setup that works exactly the way I want it to, no extra and no waste.

When it comes to guns though, I originally wanted lots.  Lots of different ones.  Maybe lots of the same ones.  It's more fun to take a friend shooting ARs if you have one they can use, but still have your own to use at the same time.  I'm still looking for the 'perfect' balance of what firearms I want to have around.  I realized that it doesn't make sense for me to think of myself as a good shooter, but spend more time trading/buying/selling/modifying guns than shooting them.  I've gotten rid of a few and am instead focused on getting good with what I have. 

I like ARs, pistols, & shotguns.  Shooting black powder rifles is a blast too.  But after shooting a lot and getting into minimalism, I've fallen even more in love with the shotgun.  The ultra-light backpacker in me loves that I could hunt different types of game with the same weapon simply by putting in different ammo.  I can switch out the ammo and I the gun will do a completely different thing.  I also love how simple it is, both to operate and to dissassemble/reassemble.

Anyways, I'm not in any way saying it's better than other firearms, I just wanted to ramble, and that's what I've done.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

I shot a lot of trap the past few years, going to give sporting clays a whirl this summer. Ran a couple of IDPA quals but there is not a huge IDPA/USPA presence in CT.

I would really like to shoot 3 gun, but again, not a lot of 3-gun public shoots going on here.

A range opened up recently with all sorts of class 3 fun stuff for rent, might have to swing by there and check it out.