Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

How did I miss this thread?!?  

Definitely a great passtime.  I'm more of a target shooter than hunter, though I do hunt sometimes. 

Personally, I love my Glock, but I totally understand that some people hate them.  I do my best not to be one of "those snobby Glock guys".  I have friends that own Kahr, M&P, Sig, Colt, Taurus, Kel-Tec and a few others, and I've shot most of them too.  Only ones I definitely did not care for was the Taurus and Kel-tec.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The Glock has a grip frame design that is custom-built to try do dislocate my thumb. My SR-9 however is the nicest feeling auto I've ever wrapped my paws around. I need to whip up some bullets one of these days so I can load some 9mm. I haven't made it to the range in forever.

I started this thread a long time ago and every few months someone dives deep into Base Camp and digs it up.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

The Glock has a grip frame design that is custom-built to try do dislocate my thumb. My SR-9 however is the nicest feeling auto I've ever wrapped my paws around. I need to whip up some bullets one of these days so I can load some 9mm. I haven't made it to the range in forever.

I started this thread a long time ago and every few months someone dives deep into Base Camp and digs it up.

You hit the nail on the head!  Every single person I've ever heard that didn't like the Glock was because of the grip angle.  Every. Single. One.  I have shot the SR9 and SR9c before.  Both are fantastic pistols.  If I were to buy one other than my glock the SR9c or a Kahr would be on top of the list.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I have not shot the SR-9 but a buddy if mine loves his. I picked up the SR-1911 last year on impulse and it's probably one of the best built production 1911s under 1k.

Ruger seems to be pretty out some quality stuff the past few years.

How did I miss this thread?!?

Definitely a great passtime. I'm more of a target shooter than hunter, though I do hunt sometimes.

Personally, I love my Glock, but I totally understand that some people hate them. I do my best not to be one of "those snobby Glock guys". I have friends that own Kahr, M&P, Sig, Colt, Taurus, Kel-Tec and a few others, and I've shot most of them too. Only ones I definitely did not care for was the Taurus and Kel-tec.

When i first got into shooting I hated glocks.. I was too hung up in the fug factor. Over time I slowly replaced most of my Sigs with Glocks, the grip angle grew on me and they're insanely easier to detail strip.

The gen 4's with the beavertail backstraps helped alot for people with big hands.

• Like 1

Ruger seems to be pretty out some quality stuff since Bill started the business.

FTFY

I've owned a Blackhawk, a Super Redhawk, and a P89 and all were built like brick shithouses. I want to trip over a #1 in 243 someday, and a Security Six is on my short list, too. The Security Six will probably be a while, since it's tough to justify when I have a S&W M60 in 357 with a 5" barrel already. A more perfect wood walking piece has never been conceived, except maybe the SP-101 in similar configuration.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

FTFY

I've owned a Blackhawk, a Super Redhawk, and a P89 and all were built like brick shithouses. I want to trip over a #1 in 243 someday, and a Security Six is on my short list, too. The Security Six will probably be a while, since it's tough to justify when I have a S&W M60 in 357 with a 5" barrel already. A more perfect wood walking piece has never been conceived, except maybe the SP-101 in similar configuration.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply they had a history of problems, just that they have managed to avoid some of the gimmicks and QC problems with their new releases that other manufacturers have suffered from in the past decade.

I spent a good chunk of time behind a GP-100 and the fit and finish were flawless. Cylinder gap and lockup were excellent and the timing was perfect. Gunscout and Red Label are on my bucket list.

FTFY

You can justify that Six easy. You can never have too many guns.

I've gotten rid of most of mine in the last few years (dad shot himself with the only gun he ever owned), but I held onto my Ruger 10/22 and a Gamo Shadow 1000 pellet gun. Anything too big for those the Mathews takes care of.

Going coyote hunting on Sunday. Hopefully I can skunk my buddy and his .50

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Shooting has taken a back seat to powerlifting in the last year. I'm also in the middle of an offer on another house, so that Six will probably be down on the list for a long time. I'm happy with the pieces I have for sure.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

and they're insanely easier to detail strip.

Ain't that the truth!  I've yet to find a gun that field strips as easy as my Glock.  Not many guns can strip one-handed in under 10 seconds (with practice). 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

You hit the nail on the head! Every single person I've ever heard that didn't like the Glock was because of the grip angle. Every. Single. One. I have shot the SR9 and SR9c before. Both are fantastic pistols. If I were to buy one other than my glock the SR9c or a Kahr would be on top of the list.

The only complaint I have about my SR9c is the plastic magazine release - the surface that touches the retaining cut wears over time, obviously more rapidly if you're practicing mag changes.

Other than that, I love it. Takes whatever I feed it, doesn't print much, and shoots better than I can. Considering adding a pocket 380 for summer carry - eyeballing that Ruger LCP.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

Shooting has taken a back seat to powerlifting in the last year. I'm also in the middle of an offer on another house, so that Six will probably be down on the list for a long time. I'm happy with the pieces I have for sure.

Dude, right there with ya on the house buying. Totally takes over. I was planning on building a Glock 20 longslide for a backwoods sidearm this fall, but the outlook now is no bueno. Piece by piece...

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

The only complaint I have about my SR9c is the plastic magazine release - the surface that touches the retaining cut wears over time, obviously more rapidly if you're practicing mag changes.

Other than that, I love it. Takes whatever I feed it, doesn't print much, and shoots better than I can. Considering adding a pocket 380 for summer carry - eyeballing that Ruger LCP.

I don't like their round spring either (not much I like about Glock anyway). M&P have a flat spring, which wont kink like a round one will. Of course that 19th century grip angle is totally stupid too.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I don't like their round spring either (not much I like about Glock anyway). M&P have a flat spring, which wont kink like a round one will. Of course that 19th century grip angle is totally stupid too.

Please, tell me how you really feel.  Don't hold back.  Just let it all out.  :D  :D  :D

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Please, tell me how you really feel. Don't hold back. Just let it all out. :D:D:D

Lol. To each their own.

• Like 1

Are we still hating on "Gaston's dishwasher safe hand cannon?"

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Are we still hating on "Gaston's dishwasher safe hand cannon?"

If by "dishwasher safe hand cannon" you mean "glock", then yes.  We are.  

EDIT: I also own and love a Glock.  But they are an easy target for making-fun-of.  (easy target?  see what I did there? :D )

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I love their motto "Perfection" yet they are on Generation 4 or 5. If it's "perfect" you don't need upgrades do ya???

Of course, their upgrades are making it more like a M&P(my CHOSEN duty weapon) so guess who's "more than perfection"?

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I have a 300 yd range in my back yard, so I have plenty of practice opportunities.

Some day...

I hate you in the best way possible right now. I'm jealous!!!

I'm jealous too. The majority if the ranges around here max out @ 100 yards, a few @ 200.

No state land you can go and shoot for free, so range time for public ranges typically runs 25-30 an hour. I have some private ranges I can shoot on but would be nice to simply go to my back yard!

Haha, well it is nice that I have no neighbors and land to play on, but I do not have any access to broadband internet. Probably what I dislike most about my location.

*edit* I just noticed that this was my 1,000 post (mini-woot)

That's the only issue I have with the house I have an offer in on. It has 3G coverage, so I'll have high speed internet but I'll have to keep the streaming to a minimum. I'll end up with a 50 yard range, which is enough for me. I got good enough with a rifle for it to get boring fast. Shooting handgun however never gets easy.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

That's the only issue I have with the house I have an offer in on. It has 3G coverage, so I'll have high speed internet but I'll have to keep the streaming to a minimum. I'll end up with a 50 yard range, which is enough for me. I got good enough with a rifle for it to get boring fast. Shooting handgun however never gets easy.

Yeah I have Verizon 4G LTE, its fast which makes keeping under 10 GB a month tough.

Yeah, anytime you can get pistol practice in is good. Odds are if you have to defend your life, it will be with a pistol and you will need that muscle memory when your fine motor skills go to shit.