Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

Wow, HUGE victory out of DC this weekend: http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/

In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. 

(emphasis added)

Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Now there are NO parts of the USA where carrying guns for personal defense is banned completely.

And for the time being, one may carry a gun in DC with no permit or license whatsoever, unless or until the District constructs a constitutional regulatory scheme. (This is just like Vermont, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming, and Alaska)

That time I did 1,998 pull ups

"Take care of your meat wagon!" - Joe Rogan

Wow, HUGE victory out of DC this weekend: http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/

(emphasis added)

Now there are NO parts of the USA where carrying guns for personal defense is banned completely.

And for the time being, one may carry a gun in DC with no permit or license whatsoever, unless or until the District constructs a constitutional regulatory scheme. (This is just like Vermont, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming, and Alaska)

Wow!!  That is amazing news!  Thanks for posting!  (too bad you can bet DC will pass some ludicrous draconian May-Issue system that makes carrying there as tough as it is in California)

But still, for the time being, DC is a lot better off! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Hell yeah now were talking my language. I taught the Ky concealed carry lic program for Yearrrrsssss until my daughter was born and now I just dont have the time. My last acquisition was a Precision rifle I built from the ground up.

Remington 700 receiver 16 in 1/10 twist threaded barrel in .308. Dropped it into a Hs precision stock and added a vortex flash suppressor on the end to tame the little dragon that flys out every time I touch the trigger. I topped her off with a fixed 10 power SS MRAD scope and she is dead nuts accurate out to 730 yards (Farthest Ive been able to take her). 

I dont hunt more since the war but I shoot steel every chance I get and absolutely Love teaching others weapon handling and manipulation.

• Like 1

Im about as Hard a Target as a balloon full of cottage cheese.....

My knockaround pistol is a Ruger SR9 and I couldn't be happier with it.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I dont hunt but I do enjoy shooting. I'm waiting for my carry permit to get accepted. Anyone have any suggestions on a good carry weapon? I'm looking in the 9m to 357 range.

If I have pants on my glock 19 9mm is on me....

Glock is one of the ugliest guns out there but it is dead nuts reliable. 

I avoid glocks like they are an AIDS infested crack whore!!!   M&P Shield in .40 cal.   I also avoid 9mm.  Nazis used 9mm, and I can't think of a better reason to not carry a 9.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Nazi's used the .45, too...

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Nazi's used the .45, too...

Do tell.  Nazi pistols were 9s.  The MPs were 9s.  Unless they were captured 1911s I don't recall Nazis using a real calibre of bullet. 

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940612/other%201911s.pdf

They didn't plan on it. When they took over a Norwegian factory producing 1911s it seemed like a good idea to take advantage of it.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

So only about 7-8K lucky Nazis got to shoot a real gun, captured real guns.  

Yet by choice they produced 9s for their usage instead of ripping off the most perfect handgun in the history of the world.  Seems they loved those wimpy calibres.

So only about 7-8K lucky Nazis got to shoot a real gun, captured real guns.  

Yet by choice they produced 9s for their usage instead of ripping off the most perfect handgun in the history of the world.  Seems they loved those wimpy calibres.

As a former Combat medic who has treated casualties shot with that wimpy caliber I feel that I can offer some insight into this conversation. Basically Keep this in mind. "Blood goes round and round, Air goes in and out. ANYTHING that interferes with these two operations is a VERY bad thing.  Im all for personnel preference but an organic target perforated with high speed lead is generally having a very bad day, irregardless of the caliber of the projectile. 

Irregardless of the biology of the vascular and pulmonary systems, while a smaller projectile may expand a larger projectile will never shrink. When dealing with a weapon that is essentially a short range hole punch, the size of the hole is important.

With all that said, I'll still stick to my 9 with hand cast lead flat nose for carry, and my 357 with 180gr HPs for knocking around in the woods. Anything bigger than those two can handle demands a proper firearm, anyway.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I dont hunt but I do enjoy shooting. I'm waiting for my carry permit to get accepted. Anyone have any suggestions on a good carry weapon? I'm looking in the 9m to 357 range.

My number 1 piece of advice for getting a carry gun: SHOOT IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!

I can't tell you how many people I know who go through guns like they go through underwear because they refuse to spend a few bucks renting guns at their local range to try them out before they buy them.  

Personally, I carry a Glock 26 and love it.  I know others who carry everything from Kahr's to S&W to Ruger to you-name-it.   Bottom line: a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home.  Shoot before you buy, and buy something you'll actually carry.

Glock is one of the ugliest guns out there but it is dead nuts reliable. 

Quite so.  Here's a not-so-quick torture test some guy did with a G21 a few years back.  They're ugly as sin, but they go bang every time.  (Unless you do crazy shit to it like that guy did)

Nazis used 9mm, and I can't think of a better reason to not carry a 9.

Whether they used 9mm or not, that has to be the most irrationally stupid reason to avoid a caliber I've ever heard.  My dad actually owns a 1913 Luger that my Grandpa brought back from the war, and it's one of the best feeling guns I've ever shot.  Very well balanced, and incredibly easy to use and fire accurately.  If the sights were better and it wasn't worth so much, it'd be a great carry gun.  And yes, we shoot it.  Not often, but we do.

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Whether they used 9mm or not, that has to be the most irrationally stupid reason to avoid a caliber I've ever heard.  My dad actually owns a 1913 Luger that my Grandpa brought back from the war, and it's one of the best feeling guns I've ever shot.  Very well balanced, and incredibly easy to use and fire accurately.  If the sights were better and it wasn't worth so much, it'd be a great carry gun.  And yes, we shoot it.  Not often, but we do.

It's actually 1 of many reasons not to carry a 9.  Unreliability is another big reason.  It's a good signal caliber, till somebody w/ a real caliber shows up. 

Since you're one of those glockheads I can see how you would like the Luger feel.  The angle on the handle are almost the same.  Another reason I avoid glocks.

Maybe they should have shoot out w/ the Luger and the 1911 and see who wins...Oh wait they did and the 1911 won that one!!!

Well now that we got all that penis measuring out of the way. We can move right along.

Scored two boxes of +P+ 124 grain bonded Gold dots today ! Insert heavy metal music right here ---> 

Ran a mag through to make sure they handled ok and everything ran great. Really snappy but an accurate little loading none the less. 

Hoping to get the bolt gun out this wens for some long range fun but thats going to be babysitter dependent. 

It's actually 1 of many reasons not to carry a 9.  Unreliability is another big reason.  It's a good signal caliber, till somebody w/ a real caliber shows up. 

Since you're one of those glockheads I can see how you would like the Luger feel.  The angle on the handle are almost the same.  Another reason I avoid glocks.

Maybe they should have shoot out w/ the Luger and the 1911 and see who wins...Oh wait they did and the 1911 won that one!!!

If it's one of many, list the many.  "Because the Nazi's used it" is not a valid reason.  They also used cars.  Should I refuse to drive because of that?  

For unreliability, maybe you've had bad luck or something.  Reliability is THE main reason I bought a 9mm pistol.  Haven't cleaned it in over a year now and it still goes bang every time.  

As for being a "glockhead", I beg to differ.  While I personally quite like mine, I have no delusions that other pistols are somehow inferior.  Maybe you saw in my post about knowing people who own several other brands?  Most of those people are family, and I've shot all of them (the guns they own, not the family :D )    Including 3 different Kimber 1911's, for which you appear to be so fond.  For the record, they are an amazing firearm.  I simply refuse to carry anything with an external safety.  

Clearly you are a 1911 fanboy, which is fine.  Did you know they make 1911's in 9mm now?  Also, it doesn't surprise me that the "test" of the 1911 vs Luger was won by the 1911.  I'd bet they put a modern 1911 up against a decades old Luger.  Not exactly a fair comparison.   Put a 100 year old 1911 against a 100 year old Luger and retest it.  Maybe it'll still win.  I don't know.  But new vs old is a poor test.  

In any case, as docdredd said, we've beaten this horse to death.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Only if you love her.

Read this and almost snorted coffee all over the person in front of me at the Social Security line... Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"