Forums are back in action! ×

Hello From Houston Texas

Hello Everyone,

My name is Adam...And I'm a food-a-holic.

I'm not going to bore you with every detail of my life. But here's the gist of it all:

History:

As a child, I was seriously underweight. But I was strong! At age 7, I was able to do one arm pullup on the monkey bars.

This lasted, until my family moved to US. And I've been growing since...fatter, fatter, and even fatter.

Fast Forward...in highschool, I was very fat also. At that point, I was able to barely run a mile in 21min. before collapsing on the grass. But I did gain a lot of muscle doing a lot of lifting in the senior year.

April of 2013, I was at my heaviest @ 255lbs, 32%BF, and 5'8". These measurements were taken by the trainer at the local gym.

I went to the gym, because at that point, I had just about enough of this craziness. I was only 33yrs, and couldn't even play with my kid for more than 5mins. That's insane! I had always blamed my deskjob (web development) for the lack of fitness, but I wasn't doing deskjob in highschool now was I.

Now:

Anyways, since April, I started to make small changes and today 11/04/2013 clocked my weight at 233lbs. Yes, it's coming down, VERY SLOWLY, but I'm happy with the slow progress. For one, it took me 34yrs to become such a heavy Jaba the Hut. So yes, it's gonna take some time to bring it down. Second, I say FUDGE the weight...I'm starting to feel better. And I count that more than the scale.

What I Did:

In the start, I simply changed my caloric intake. Yes, I wasn't too informed, and yes I made mistakes, but I simply ate what I had been, but slightly less. Slowly, I started swap the worst foods only with some better alternatives. My biggest food challanges are Ramen Noodles and Candy. I also started with slow waking, then kept on upping the time from 5min walks to 30min. Then I changed it from slow to a slightly faster pace...you get what I mean.

Only, when I got to a point where I can do slow jogging (3.5mph for 30mins.), only then, I started to get into light weight lifting. Notice, I kept enforcing slowness, light, lightweight...this is I think especially needed for the morbid obese like myself. If my friends on this board who are new to fitness start off with crazy speeds while they haven't developed the lung capacity, muscle endurance, etc... it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyways, In April, I was getting tired at 5min. 2mph walk. Now, I can slowly jog for 30min. or more at 3.5mph, sometimes pushing myself to 4 and even 5mph for a minute or so. I know, it's not something most people would even mention, nothing to be proud of. But I am proud, I'm happy. Look at where I started from! My lifting is also getting better, although I'm still scared of barbels and keep to machines for safety. I will get there.

My Heading:

My goal is to be able to run a mile under 8min. And also be able to do 10 or so pullups. I want to be under 10%BF. I no longer wish to have joint pains. I don't like to carry all this weight. I want my family to look at me with pride, not pitty. Are these goals out of question? Am I dreaming too big? Am I Crazy? I think, our bodies are awesome at doing what we push them to do. If I keep pushing it, I think there is a likelyhood that it will one day perform as intended.

I thank for reading.