Forums are back in action! ×

Salutations!  I've just started reading this site yesterday, but as I wanted to get some accountability started, I figured I'd get, you know...started!

I'm 40 and living in the greater Detroit area, although I grew up in Connecticut.  I've always thought I've been on the big side, although when I look back to up to my senior year of high school, it wasn't that bad.  From then on it was a slow trundle from my 5'7" 160 to my current 240.   There was a big jump in there when I quit smoking about 13 years ago.   I'd like to get back to that 160-170 range.  BMI chart will put me at 140, but I have long legs for my height, and those are my best muscles (and best feature!!  I love to show off my legs, even though they are spidered with vericose veins a bit) and a larger bone structure.  I think at lower than 160 my muscles will look more meh.

My starting goal is to excercise every weekday and to track what I eat.  I have noticed in past efforts that even when I take the approach of eating whatever I want as long as I write it down, it deters me from eating at least 1 bad thing....simply because I don't want to write down that it was eaten!  Then, when I've nailed that habit, I can look to improve, and I'll have a great record to see what easy things can be trimmed.

Right now I have some fun excercises like Rockin' Body and Wii Fit.  Wii Fit is intended to be my minimum, since if i'm feeling to tired when I get up, i can weigh in and do one or two stupid games and stop.  I usually find that primes the pump and I keep going.  I also am going to track weight goals there.   I also do some "inside walking" which involves making a circuit around my living room/kitchen, including a light jog, while watching Netflix shows (X Files is the current selection).