Forums are back in action! ×

Excited to get started!

New Rebel here and very much looking forward to my first 6-week challenge!

I've "been meaning to" get serious about my health forever, but never have made it a priority. My husband has been working out for over a year now, and I'm proud of him and I love seeing his progress. I love knowing he's taking care of himself, and I know he'd love it if I was taking care of myself. It's time to step up.

I'm definitely one of those Overachiever Beavers, but this year I've been focusing on taking small steps. So far I've gotten a Jawbone UP, which is helping me make sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep, plus on most days I make sure I have at least an hour of activity. (Working up to 10,000 steps.) This has been a lot harder since our dog died, but I started taking walks on my 15-min breaks at work, so now I really just need to make sure I walk on the weekends. I've also been reading a lot about minimalism and am trying to declutter my house. (I'm a pack rat.) I actually found Nerd Fitness through a link from the Becoming Minimalist blog.

This has been a hard year (dog died, friend died, grandma died, and a freaking ton of work-related stesses), plus I have depression, but I'm determined that I won't increase my meds unless I absolutely have to. To that end, we've installed full-spectrum lightbulbs in the bathroom, computer room, and sunroom, and repainted the computer room from battleship gray (most of the main floor was painted that color when we bought the house) to a light tropical blue, and we removed all our heavy, light-blocking drapes and replaced them with window-clings and light curtains. That's been a big help. I'm also trying to meditate on some sort of a regular basis, as well as starting to exercise more. I go to yoga once a week, plus I signed up for a "health strategies" brown-bag course at work.

I'm really good at overwhelming myself, so for my first challenge I'm going to go fairly easy--5 minutes of meditation a day, working up to a 5-minute plank over the 6 weeks, and doing dumbbell rows with the eventual goal of working up to a pull up (no set time-table on that one). Can't wait to get started!

Rraythe Pixiebane

Level 3 Ranger (STR: 3.5, DEX: 5.25, STA: 5, CON: 6, WIS: 5.25, CHA: 2)

Current Challenge: Rraythe Jumps (Rope) Back on the Bandwagon

Previous challenges: First, Second, (Fail)

"Suffering is wanting this moment to be other than what it is."