Forums are back in action! ×

A (relativley) old newbie

Hi Nerd Fitness. I’m hoping that I might be able to draw on some collective wisdom to help me regain my motivation to train.

By way of background I'm 44 and studying Nursing fulltime, I've been in the Australian Army for nearly 10 years and have had reasonable fitness in the past. The Army is paying for the degree but because I’m doing full time university I'm not doing regular PT anymore and have let myself slide (my fault, no-one else).

I can still pass my Basic fitness test but that's about the extent of it.

I don’t think I’m excessively overweight at 82 kg (180lb) and 5’6â€. The real thing is I feel unhealthy and unhappy about it. My youngest son patted me on the belly the other morning and said “Hi Fattyâ€. He says I’m getting jolly like “Santa†and thinks it is pretty funny. But I can see the path I’m heading on and want to change.

I have access to a gym, pool, cardio equipment but always seem to find an excuse why I can't.

The last time I was on deployment a mate of mine introduced me to 5x5 training and I thought now might be the chance to get into it. My plan was as follows:

1. 5x5 training 3 times a week
2. Some interval/cardio training 2-3 times a week.
3. Try to clean up my diet one bit at a time.

Do you think I am going to be doing too much too soon?

Is the 5x5 training appropriate for someone who is out of shape?

Any guidance on the right place to post or guild to join would be appreciated.

Try to clean up my diet one bit at a time.

Shallow end before deep end.

5x5 training 3 times a week

2. Some interval/cardio training 2-3 times a week.

Deep end, straight away.

Nothing wrong with either, if you ask me. Actually, really a fan of the one bit at a time diet change... works well.

But there's a pain/euphoria period to the second one. Expect it.

My questions for you are:

What's your goal? (Losing weight? Gaining muscle? Can we assume both?)

What's your Basal metabolic rate? (use a calculator, then test it for a week, see if weight has gone up or down)

What's you average caloric intake (Deficit or surplus)?

What kind of interval cardio (100m/50m/etc, 10s sprints? bike, running)?

The reason I ask: Doing intervals is harsh. Not only to do (that part is pretty cool) but it needs solid recovery (Enough food, a sur plus there of, actually and enough sleep, etc.)

Thanks for the reply.

My initial goal is some weight loss and strength/fitness gains. I have had reasonable fitness in the past and hope to get somewhere close to that (2.4k in 10min 30sec). After that I'd like to continue with the 5x5 program and see if I can make some bigger strength gains.

As for my BMR, I've used an online calculator that puts it about 1750 calories/day (2400 if I factor in exercise at a moderate level).

I would say I am definately in a calorie deficit but with the wrong types of food. I'm a grazer by nature and don't do breakfast really well.

As far as cardio/intervals. I have a BW circuit based around a 400 metre run with exercises in between. I'm open to any number of suggestions as well especially from anyone who has been down this road before.

I'm not looking to become a fitness model, I just want to be stronger and fit enough to be around when my kids grow up.

The cardio I had planned is on off days and is a BW circuit with a 400 run at the end. So not really 400m intervals.

It has a couple of other variations, all BW with runs ranging up to 3k in them.

My other option is to ride, run (5k or less) or swim as cardio. I can include intervals and fartlek training into each of these.

Thoughts?

hehe, army time left some of that pushing in the psyche, I see. Well, I wouldn't advise fartlek, HIIT or any of that to someone who's never done them before to start of with. But it sounds like you have, so I'll definitely reserve judgement. 

When starting out (or coming back from a long time of no trainig) nearly any training type that pushes a limit (muscle fatigue, intensity (weight) or endurance) will have the effects you want. I, personally, like to think it's akin to ramping up the basal metabolic rate to (or back to) where it needs to be. So my advice is stick to the 5x5 for the 12 weeks without a deficit. Let the alchemy take place beneath the fat...get used to the work load, then that way you'll have the tools to trim it off.

I'd keep fartlek and sprints to once or twice a week (really, no more. Once is probably MORE than fine) and I'd do it without a calorie deficit... by which I mean, keep eating the amount you feel like eating, already. Your body has gotten used to a certain amount, and that's fine for now.

After the twelve weeks, after those beginner gains, I guess.... you start looking into cutting. My estimation is that you'll have dropped some % of fat already. 

That's my take.

cheers

Thanks for the advice. I've been warned off mixing too much cardio with strength training in the past. I think the 12 week plan is sound and that'll give me the chance to program it into my psyche so that any additional training I want to do is easier to be motivated for.

I have a riding buddy in the local area and the long days during summer make for an ideal time to ride just to get some aerobic base done.

Other than that I need to work on regularity with my food (including eating breakfast).