Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all.

I stumbled across Nerd Fitness a few weeks ago (can't remember how...) and I almost immediately fell in love with it. So many of the ideals that Steve presents (for example minimum-equipment) were ideals I held onto but didn't know how to implement, that I spent all my free time for a week reading as many articles as I could.

I have been on an Epic Quest for about three years now. It started when I left Ireland to move to Japan. When I left Ireland I weighed over 100kg (possibly as much as 114kg), but I avoided the scale as I didn't want to confront the truth.

When I came to Japan, my diet got healthier. And I lost some weight. Then I actually started to get interested in it, and thought things through using "conventional wisdom" about eating healthy. I researched more and more, started exercising, and lost more and more weight.

I now stand at a pretty skinny 74kg. I am still carrying some body fat around the belly, but I've recently converted to Paleo and am working on the beginners body weight workout.

To tell the truth, I think I need a good group of people to support me. Most of my friends here are questioning my weight loss and telling me I should stop losing weight, which I find odd as I still have a significant amount of visible belly fat. One Japanese friend even asked me if I had cancer... He was joking, but it's not the kind of feedback I need. I often struggle with motivation, and I hope I have found a group of like minded people on these forums.

Hey Paddy!

It sounds like you might want to focus on building muscle, rather than weight loss. As you get into your strength training, you might find that even though your weight hasn't changed -- or it has gone up! -- that your belly fat goes away. I am not 100% sure what the 'ideal' weight for men your height is supposed to be, but I would reckon that instead of focusing on losing fat, you might want to focus on gaining muscle.

Just some thoughts. Welcome to the rebellion!! :D

Welcome to the Rebellion! It looks like you are already on your way, so let us know how we can help. A bunch of us are paleo, and there are a number of people on these boards that are working through Steve's various bodyweight workouts. It's incredibly frustrating when the people who are close to you don't support your efforts to get healthy, but you've definitely come to the right place for help with motivation!

My goal is to LGN - Looking Good Naked! I long ago gave up believing in the scale. I weigh myself, but I don't care if it moves up or down. I measure my progress by looking at myself in the mirror and how good I look lol!!

My immediate goal is leaning out, while building a solid strength foundation with the body weight exercises.

Thanks for the welcome guys, looking forward to interacting with you.