Forums are back in action! ×

Plantar Faciitis help....

So I've been battling this for a while...when I was in the military, I used to run 5 miles a day-and I LOVED it. After getting shin splints, and not being allowed to rest them, it finally progressed into Plantar Faciitis. Even walking some days is painful, no matter what shoes. I've tried Icing, stretching, resting, insoles, you name it. Does anyone have any other tips? I just want to be able to walk/run/jog without the pain in my arches!

Ten percent luck. Twenty percent skill. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure, Fifty percent pain; And a hundred percent reason to remember my name.

Guest Dirty Deads

So I've been battling this for a while...when I was in the military, I used to run 5 miles a day-and I LOVED it. After getting shin splints, and not being allowed to rest them, it finally progressed into Plantar Faciitis. Even walking some days is painful, no matter what shoes. I've tried Icing, stretching, resting, insoles, you name it. Does anyone have any other tips? I just want to be able to walk/run/jog without the pain in my arches!

I have it in just my left foot. Oddly it hurts more to walk, but I can run w/o much issue. Have you tried the towel scrunches? Those and a LAX ball have been helping me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJYq1HBtHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5cXC-rwqQ

Guest Dirty Deads

I haven't done towel scrunches..that's a new one, but the ball one I do something similar with a water bottle/tennis ball.

Yeah, the tennis ball doesn't cause the tears an lax ball does. Probably a better option. I was just doing some dislocates earlier with a broom stick and decided to try rolling my foot on it.Works pretty well.

The towel scrunches are suppose to help build the muscle up and help the arch. Just have to make sure to not curl your toes to move it, which takes a little concentration for me.

I second both the towel scrunches and ball rolling, and also advocate for calf and soleus stretching (the soleus is at the lower part of what's commonly thought of as your calf, just above the Achilles' Tendon, to stretch it you basically go into the same position as a calf stretch but bend your knee). I have what I'm fairly certain is plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and like Lord Swoledemort, find it worse when walking than running.

There's also a video on the plantar fasciitis stuff you can do on the Mobility Wod website, it involves mushing you calf muscle a bunch with a ball. It's painful but surprisingly effective (sorry, I don't have the link, but I recall it being relatively easy to find on the website).

Dare mighty things