Forums are back in action! ×

Paleo: Minimum Calories

So I did my first day of paleo along with a really intense (for me) work out day.

For the first time ever I tracked what I ate and its nutritional value. If the calculator I used is correct, I only consumed 1200 calories.

Is that dangerously low? I AM looking to burn some fat, and I ate until I wasn't hungry anymore, but I want to make sure that there isn't an equivalent of "starvation mode" in paleo.

Thanks for your help and support!

Dio.

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Also, calorie counting doesn't work if you aren't estimating your portions correctly (not to say that you are, this is just an easy thing to check if everything else seems to be working). I would reccomend getting a food scale or using measuring cups for the first week or so to make sure you are not underestimating how much food you are eating. I know when I started I was way overestimating all my portions and didn't realize it until someone else pointed it out.

That said, if you stick to paleo foods, they will keep you full.

Go Go Battle Log!

Lunch: Half-pint of grilled chicken from Anna's Taqueria, two tablesppons of guacamole

Snacks: Half a cup of cashews

Dinner: 3 oz of salmon (couldn't eat more; I tried!), some fish stock and Brags liquid aminos on top, 2 oz of dry-sauteed mushrooms with it's own juice, and probably a cup of broccoli with a little salt and some Nutritional yeast

Dessert: half a haas avocado

Nutrition:

Calories - ~1200

Total Fat: 108 g

Sat Fat: 18 g

Carb: 33 g

Protein: 99 g

Cholesterol: 248 mg

Sodium: 643 mg (probably more, I'm not trusting the calculator)

Potassium: 2074 mg

Fiber: 11 g

Sugars: 6 g

Today I had breakfast, so two eggs and three ounces of sausage with a bit of salt and pepper, but I really don't see myself eating that many more calories today (tonight's dinner). And I plan to do another really intense (for me) upper body workout today (pull ups, pushups, inverted row, and jumping jacks for good measure).

All the food I made was just really flavorful and so my mind got sated quickly and my stomach never complained. I also drink about a gallon of water a day and two cups of black coffee.

Thanks for the help!

Dio

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

I have a lot of days where I just can't cram in more than 1200 calories, although even if I'm not particularily hungry and I eat less than that I get really cranky. I think when starting out, there's a lot of "getting used to" Paleo that that might happen. If you're honestly satisfied and not hungry, I would say you're doing fine.