Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone,

Over the past year (and some months) i've started to level up my lifestyle.

As a child / teenager i've always been quite skinny. This was probably due to the fact that I was a semi-pro figure skater for 15 years and was on the ice for about 5/6 days a week (2-5hrs per day). Although i was skinny, my Quads / Glutes / Calfs / Hams were overdeveloped against the rest of my body (always a struggle to find a decent pair of jeans :@).

This started to change when i hit college. College was too easy and as a die-hard gamer i found myself to be tempted at trying FFXI. The game sipped a lot of my time and with the game came along an unhealthy lifestyle. Drinking loads of red-bull (to stay awake during nights due to timezones etc.), going out a lot drinking alcohol heavily(and with that smoking too) and i started working at a local snackbar.

Over the years i packed some weight even though i had a high activity level. It wasn't very noticeable though.

When i hit university i stopped skating. i went to live in dorms where the unhealthy nerd-lifestyle gained me like 15kg in a couple of years. I joined Taekwondo as a sport (after a year or two) but at two times a week and the said lifestyle this didn't change all that much (although i stopped gaining weight luckily).

During my graduation period i had a major drawback in life. My mum got diagnosed with lung cancer and died march 2009. So i decided to quit smoking (I was at that time an occasional smoker but smoked more and more during the stress period).

I quit smoking february 2009 and lived my life like there was no tomorrow (it felt like that at the time). Drinking a lot / eating / partying a lot. in a year time a gained another what 10 kg or so. it was then when i started noticing changes in the way my body was shaped. I wasn't quite fat or to say obese but you could see that i didn't sport as much as I used to do. It wasn't a problem for me to be honest. I was busy grieving instead of my own health.

By the end of march 2010 came the turning point. I was at a birthday party of a friend. Some parents of other friends noticed me and started talking to about all what happened past year (with mom etc). Then they said the following words which made me thinking: "I can see you've been taking care of yourself well... you gained some weight haven't you?....." Harsh but they were right. I did gain some weight....

the next morning i stepped on the scale and got confronted.....87KG! Fcuk! then it hit me and i realized it couldn't go on like that and that i had to lose weight. Luckily for me i was still practicing Taekwondo.

I signed up for dutch student championships and i was talking with my trainer. He said i should try and go for a lower weight class. i could fight with my current weight and be up against heavy weights of over 100kg / 2meter which would be a hard fight for me. I decided to try for <80kg so i would be the heavy weight in that class (and with my height 178cm a very nasty opponent due to my agility gained when skating).

So there i was. trying to lose 7kg in under 2 months time. i started cardioing my ass of. 5 days a week 1 or 2 hrs of cardio per day. Eating less. no alcohol / transfats. At the champs i weighed in at 79.9kg :D I felt soo good that day! especially because the day before i weighed in at 80.9kg (weighed at home).

off course crash dieting wasn't all that good and i put on 5kgs between june and september (It could have been less but life slapped me in the face again with the death of my father). So 85kg with a fat ratio of 26% at september 2010. i Started working out in the gym not really paying attention to my food or training. just working out 2-3 times a week. 2 x lifting weights 1 x spinning. in march 2011 my weight was between 68-70kg at a body fat % of 15%. I changed schedules more frequently and started paying attention to the way i performed my exercises. a couple of weeks ago i weighed in at 75kg at aprox 11/12% fat.

So that has brought me here where i am today. My body looks quite slim again and has a clear definition of the main muscle groups. I seem to have hit another plateau and i decided to gain knowledge on food. aprox 2 months ago i started eating less carbs (bad carbs only whole grain stuff) and divided my meals in 6 moments a day. I try to eat like 2500kcal which is around 500 kcal less then maintenance. Past monday i started to ban all carbs from my diet. I still get around 30/40% carbs but all from veggies / fruit. i started eating more nuts and protein. i do cheat with shakes because my work enviroment provides no way to make my meals there and there is no restaurant. Besides i need to get into the pattern of making my foods at home and taking them to work (no microwave though :( ).

My current goal is to lose 2-4% body fat so my abs are visible again (like the good old days haha). That goal should be reached by the end of september. After that my next goal will be packing on more weight up until say 80kg staying at the low body fat %. After that mainly muscle maintenance.

I will post some pictures later (although i don't have a starting pic of march 2010).

I hope this site / community can provide me some more information but especially motivation (although i seem motivated enough all by myself). if i can motivate others that would be nice aswell

You're a One trick, My trick pony

If you talk like a loser, you'll become one!

My Intro - My first 6 week challenge