Forums are back in action! ×

I used to be......something i want to be again

A little about me....

Well, I was always a pretty in shape and healthy kid all the way until I joined the military at 23.

I am 5'8" and weighed a pretty anemic (at the time) 140 lbs, but touted it to a really high metabolism, but it was really mom and dad making me eat healthy.

After i joined the military, i started the trend of eating out a lot.  Fast food, sodas, lots of chips....etc.

I also brought out my inner nerd that I had suppressed for years (being a jock and a nerd in high school wasn't cool)

Started spending my evenings playing WoW, EQII, Eve Online, STO, SWToR...lots of sedentary time all with sodas and bags of chips on hand.

I really didn't notice changes, but for people who didnt see me often, I was changing a lot.

Sure, i gained a lot of muscle from mandatory workouts and doing a LOT of pushups, but I also gained quite a stomach from my diet.

No matter what I did, I couldn't lose the stomach.  I used to be a 30 waist, now i barely manage to squeeze into a 36.

I am still a reservist in the Air Force, but my civilian job leaves me very sedentary a lot.  i work in the oilfield as an electronics technician and reside in my work truck 10-12 hours a day monitoring the job.

I am now 190lbs and just turned 34 a few days ago and decided that I no longer want to be the unhealthy, slightly overweight person I have become.

I can perform well on the AF pt test (per my last one in May)

~60 pushups in one minute

~50 situps in one minute

~12 minute run time for 1.5 mile run (I slack off on this because there is no incentive to perform better, but that will soon change)

I have bad knees, shoulders, elbows and back. (poor diet)

I have a decent muscle base, but that terrible belly fat persists. (poor diet)

I really don't mind weighing 190, I just want to change how and where the weight is arranged on my body.

I am hoping to find some encouragement and motivation to just flat out get healthier.

Hopefully i can convince my wife to do this with me, as she is in a lot better shape thatn i am now.

My first goal is going to be to complete the challenge going right now.....signing up as soo as i post this.

William

• Like 1

• Lvl 0 Troll Adventurer

Male, Age: 34

STR 0 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - CON 0 - WIS 0 - CHA 0

URL to follow soon

"This is gonna hurt, this is gonna hurt like hell."

Hi William,

A belated Veteran's day and thank you for your service to you. I think the best way to get your wife to participate with you is to inspire her. As you adjust that diet, cook for her, she will like it, I promise. I bet that part of your problem might also be strength. As your muscles and ligaments tighten and get stronger, I bet your joint issues dissipate markedly. Welcome to the rebellion and have fun.

• Like 1

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Thank you Hawgsquatch for the words of encouragement.  I have done well so far in my quest to live better.  It has been 3 entire days without a Dr. Pepper, cookie, or slice of cake..  My old crutches.  More updates to follow in my 1st challenge thread later.

• Lvl 0 Troll Adventurer

Male, Age: 34

STR 0 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - CON 0 - WIS 0 - CHA 0

URL to follow soon

"This is gonna hurt, this is gonna hurt like hell."

A stint in the military had me in the best fitness of my life in my early 20s. Then life took over ... and I wasn't working out to stay ahead of all the calories I ate. I'm finally back down to that weight again, and am eating much less quantity and much more quality meals. Stick to your objetives and regimen. You'll be up to the challenge!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

LEVEL 1 ADVENTURER

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

7%
7%
'][/progress]