Forums are back in action! ×

Improving interview confidence/ "Communication skills"

Hi Nerds, it's been a while...

I'm looking for work having completed a masters degree a few months back, it's not going terribly well but I think that's to be expected for a recent graduate. 

One thing that's bothering me is that just about every job listing asks for "good communication skills". Mine are pretty terrible and I'm not even good at faking it in interviews. I'm not an antisocial person and I'm more than able to conduct friendly conversations but I am an introvert and I don't really express myself all that well vocally. 

My speech lacks confidence and I'm always mumbling or trailing off halfway through sentences, basic stuff really. I used to have a severe lack of confidence, now it's a reasonable level but it still doesn't come across that way in interviews. I think interviewers detect this lack of confidence and it understandably counts against me. 

Are there any books or online resources worth reading on the subject? I get the impression that a lot of books on the subject of confidence are all about aspiring to be a corporate big shot and that's not what I'm going for at all. Any general advice would be appreciated too.

Hi Skip-tracer, 

There are many resources that you can take advantage of. The resource that would probably be the easiest for you to use where you will get the best results is joining a Toastmaster's group.  If you never heard of Toastmasters it is a non profit organization with local clubs all around world where you can learn to improve and practice your communication skills.  I have been apart of their group for the last 4 years and I have made a big improvement on the way that I communicate with other people especially during job interviews.  Reading a book may not help you the way you would like.  You'll get a lot of benefit from being in a live forum where everyone's goal is to improve their communication skills.  You can learn more about them at www.toastmasters.org

In terms of your job search, what kind of job are you looking for and what did you get your degree in?