Forums are back in action! ×

I found this website yesterday while i was looking for information on Intermittent Fasting for a friend.  Jackpot, the page is loaded with good info, especially the kind i need for arguments.  lol

After signing up, I started looking around and found more good stuff.  I'm not an expert trainer or dietician, just a 47 yr old Systems Analyst that wants to make changes in my life to be healthier.  I've found the will & desire to make changes in my life but it will be nice to be able to talk to others about it.  I'm a father, husband & grandfather with alot to live for. 

Wieght Loss

I've been Intermittent Fasting since March and lost over 40lbs. My goal is to lose 100lbs, I weighed 298 when i started.

Fasting schedule

Mon-Thur 20 hour fast 8pm to 4pm

Fri-Sat: 16 hour fast

Sun: Cheat Day

Workouts

I workout at home,  mainly using kettlebells and a lot of bodyweight exercises as well.  I started working out with kbs 3 years ago and have been dedicated to them every since.  I have a Gazelle and use it for my cardio days   I do a lot of research & reading to come up with my own workouts.  I like doing variations of interval/tabata workouts.

Workout Schedule

Mon-Wed-Fri;  Kettlebells & Bodyweight

Tue-Thur: Cardio

Example kb/bw workout

With a 35lb kb, I do each exercise for 15 seconds, it takes 4 minutes for each round. Then take a 1 minute break between rounds. My goal is to get 10 reps in for most of the exercises within the 15 seconds. Then repeat the 2 rounds and done in 20 minutes.

Round 1
Swings l/r, Push ups, Weighted Crunches, Press l/r, Row l/r, Clean l/r
2 hand high pull, Lat swing l/r, Russian Twist, Jumpin Jacks 2 sets

Round 2
2 hand swing, Snatch l/r, Tricep Press. Clinch Curls, Side bends l/r,
Squat, High pull l/r, Windmill l/r, Milatary press l/r, Halo lunge 2 sets

Example Cardio workout

20 min run

30 second rest

30 second sprints/30 second rest x 10

Done in 30 minutes

• Like 2

I'm new at NF myself but, like you, found it by chance. I lost a significant amount of weight this year too and am catching up with fitness now that I'm better able to do it. I'm intrigued by the kettlebell work. It looks like a very holistic workout ... with cardio and strength/toning aspects. How'd you get introduced to it and what have been your experiences? I'm in your age range and would be interested in improving flexibility too. Thanks.

LEVEL 1 ADVENTURER

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

7%
7%
'][/progress]

Welcome welcome!

I like that you have everything all laid out :) Good planning

Congratulations on what you've already lost! And I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor :)

If you ever need motivation, support, or just some suggestions, don't be afraid to post! That's what we're here for

Hi Enoch, thanks for posting.  3 years ago i got it into my head that i wanted to start working out to improve my health.  I've had shin splints & knee issues for years so jogging was out.  I've never been into weights lifting,  and really couldn't find something that was for me.  At that time I was watching a lot of MMA on TV and liked what I saw from some of the fighters workouts.  I Googled MMA workouts and noticed that kettlebells was a big portion of many fighters workouts.  I just started out on my own from there, never been to a trainer or taken any classes mainly because there are no kettlebell trainers in my area.  I watch a lot of videos and tried to pick up the best i could on form & techniques.  I'm undoubtedly doing some things incorrectly or mixing kb techniques but I haven't injured my self.  lol  I have 3 kb's right now, a 25, 35 & 45.  I'm going to add a 2nd 3r soon so i can do some double kb work. 

Hi SallyAnneh, thanks for the words of encouragement.  I'll definitely ask questions from time to time and maybe I can offer some advice to others as well.....  :-)