Forums are back in action! ×

GetRichSlowly - Cost of Obesity

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/07/26/the-financial-cost-of-obesity/comment-page-2/#comments

I'm not sure how accurate the article is, but the comments are very divisive - the "eat less and work more, that's all it takes, you lazy people" versus the "oh so you're saying if I'm fat I'm worthless? I'm healthy!!" It's pretty surprising since the GRS comments are usually very calm and respectful.

I do have sympathy for people who, for medical or other reasons, try their hardest to lose weight and cannot. However, (without knowing anyone's specific situation) that thread is chock full of excuses... and kind of makes you want to get up and go to the gym.

And don't worry, I pimped NF.*

*Are the kids still saying "pimped"?

I read the article but didn't read the comments until now. Interesting how far some people will go to delude themselves. Comment number 96 is hits it on the nose, someone was saying they can't run because of X, can't cook etc and I'll just repost the comment here:

MikeTheRed says:

26 July 2011 at 9:42 am

Exercise issues/physical limitations aside, your post illustrates a big problem I feel our society has regarding any difficult lifestyle adjustments.

Namely, using “I can’t” when you mean “I don’t want to”

You CAN cook your own meals at home. You choose not to because it’s not something you enjoy. By eating out, budgeting appropriately for it etc you’ve made a lifestyle choice that makes you happier. There’s nothing wrong with that at all if it’s what makes you happy and improves your life beyond any negative consequences there may be.

It’s a subtle difference in wording between “can’t” and “don’t want to”, but there’s an entire attitude behind it that drives me up the wall.

Saying “Can’t” is implying that not doing X is something beyond your control, and therefore anything resulting from that isn’t actually your fault.

Saying “Don’t want to” shifts the entire statement into the realm of “I’ve made a conscious decision to not do this” and that you’re taking complete responsibility for the choice.

Changing a bit of language may seem irrelevant, but consciously making the shift will eventually result in a shift in thinking and how you look at problems. It’s like trying to change negative words in your vocabulary to more neutral or positive alternatives. Over time, it shifts how you think.

Be conscious of the words you use as you are with the choices you make. And own those choices as your own, regardless of the consequences.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle