Forums are back in action! ×

I want to plan an epic summer...Ideas?

Hey guys, I am currently a sophomore studying in college in GA. I really wanna do something worth while but also epic this summer, since next year will most likely be devoted to an internship, hoping I get that lucky. Anyway my options so far include: work at my on campus job over the summer and stay on campus, stay in an apartment close to college and work two jobs, work with my uncle in a closely related profession but one I am not interested in for no pay, or possibly go on a road trip with my best friend/ girl friend. My job on campus is awesome and directly related to the field I hope to join, however the pay is lousy and living in either an apartment or on campus the best I can hope to do is break even.

Basically guys I am asking for your advice on if I should do what is expected and work a job for the experience or take my last summer and go traveling. I only have $500 that would have to handle the trip if I did decide to go. So if you suggest this please include places, or additional ideas to keep it cheap but still awesome. Thanks for the input.

Six Week Challenge 1

Drop two pants sizes

0%
0%

If you're only going to break even while sticking around and working, I strongly recommend getting a summer of life experience over a summer of work experience.  In 20 years, will you think fondly back on your campus job, or your summer long road-trip?  If I were in your position, I'd think about planning an extended camping roadtrip to visit as many national parks as you can hit.  There are some beautiful sights to see out there and going from campground to campground will stretch that $500 in a way that no hotel can.  Just my $0.02

I have to disagree with Mogwai and it really sucks that I have to but, every where you look to apply is going to not only want a degree but also some type of experience in the field, like in the years of exp. So give yourself a leg up on the competition and start working now and save for an epic post-graduation vacation.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

If you're only going to break even while sticking around and working, I strongly recommend getting a summer of life experience over a summer of work experience.  In 20 years, will you think fondly back on your campus job, or your summer long road-trip?  If I were in your position, I'd think about planning an extended camping roadtrip to visit as many national parks as you can hit.  There are some beautiful sights to see out there and going from campground to campground will stretch that $500 in a way that no hotel can.  Just my $0.02

This gets my vote.  I honestly dont believe an extra summer of crappy work experience is going to do much for you in your post graduation job search.  Networking and making contacts over time will.  The old saying about "it's not what you know, but who you know" is still very much the truth.  It's all about contacts. 

An epic summer trip through national parks on the other hand will be something your remember for the rest of your life.  You have the rest of your life to work.  Use this time to experience life. 

I would say if you can afford it, then go on the trip. The memories will be great and, surprisingly, the interviewers love those stories more than the "one time at work" stories. I wish I had been able to take a whirlwind summer trip during college, but if I didn't work then I didn't eat.

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

A few friends and I are planning an epic trip to California next summer. We're all setting aside 10 bucks every paycheck. We'll have WAY more than enough money by the time it comes around, but we plan on spending every single penny on useless crap and make it as memorable as possible.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks guys. I would love to save up for the trip but honestly that isn't an option right now. My entire pay check goes to tuition minus $20 a month which is gas. Food is dining hall. That is about all I have. The $500 I have is set aside as fun/super emergency money. Any trip I go on would have to be under that budget.

Would my best bet be a road trip?

Six Week Challenge 1

Drop two pants sizes

0%
0%

I would say to get on some research in your spare time. Find fun things within a day or two trip of where you are now. Hotels eat money like no one's business. Even if it's not a huge trip, any trip with the right friends if a great trip. I would prefer to see the world's largest ball of yarn with the right friends than the grand canyon by myself.

• Like 1

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.