Forums are back in action! ×

Look what the cat dragged in!

A high five and some carrot sticks for the person who can tell me where I quoted the topic title from? :3

My name is Daniel, I hail from Somerset, in the Southwest of the United Kingdom - A mostly cold and wet puddle, full of cows, tauntauns, sheep, dragons and hobbits.

I've been lurking in the shadows of NF for a month or so now, like some snotty-green troll that lives under a bridge, building up resources, information and facts to help support myself on a quest for better health, and more so a better life (and if I get my hands on a few 1UPs whilst I'm here, even better!).

I've been pursuing a full body workout regime now for a week (well, 4 days to be precise as we nerds are) but I have taken to consider working out is a 7 day affair, as when I'm not working out I am doing everything I can to ensure my body fully recovers before the next gym session. I have also taken to workout every other day, rather than sticking to my Monday, Wednesday and Friday routine as otherwise the weekends I find myself at a loss as to what I should be doing towards my health and fitness - though am I missing out of valuable recovery time??

I have also taken up the 6 week challenge, though I have started late because I joined last Sunday (shame on me!). I am still going to catch you all up and earn myself some credibility within the Rebellion! If you're interested my challenge is as follows:

6 Week Challenge (Start 17.11.2013)

Main Quest:

“Build Muscleâ€

Side Quest:

“I will work out at least three days per week for one hour each work out.â€

“I will consume 2500 quality calories every single day.â€

“I will get 8 hours of sleep every night.â€

Life Quest:

Save £54 a month (£9 a week)

Join a guild

I will complete my 6 week challenge and post my results/grade at the end of the duration. Hopefully I will have earned enough credits to get myself into a guild as everyone knows there's strength in numbers.

I've also attached a copy of what my workout routine is, I had to write it down because my short term memory is like a sieve. I feel it encompasses a wide variety of exercises but my one main reason in seeking out the Rebellion was to get advice and criticism from experienced people, so I can work towards leveling up my life on the whole. If you have time take a look and please do let me know if I'm on the right track or simply barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, see you on the battlefield!

Full Body Workout Regime.doc

C&C?

Also, I don't know who planned your workout, but if you want hypertrophy (muscles getting bigger and stronger) you'll want to do low rep sets with like 5-8 sets.

Like 3-5 reps, 5-8 sets with heavy weights. But again, it depends on your definition of "build muscle".

• Like 1

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

You win :P

I didn't get my workout from anywhere specific, I used resources I found from various sites and people to try and put a rounded regime together. 'Hypertrophy' is a totally new word for me but yes, that is my primary goal, to 'bulk up' I suppose.

I am new to weight training, so the weights I use for things like Dumbell Press/ Flyes and Shoulder press is 10KG, do you have any advice on the best way to gauge what is a heavy weight to work towards hypertrophy, but not heavy enough I will tear something or p** my pants? Or is it simply a case of personal choice, working my way up the weights until I reach a limit?

Thanks for your advice Duality, much obliged :)

I would suggest somethings like StrongLifts 5x5, google it, it's free and lots of people have seen great results on it (me being one).

• Like 1

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173