Forums are back in action! ×

More sleep or wait it out?

So a quick question.

I just dived hardcore into moving toward fit this week. Strength training 3x a week, going (mostly) paleo, yoga, dance, and general lifestyle changes. The one thing I haven't changed is my sleeping habits.

I am usually pretty good about consistently sleeping 7-8 hours a night and being alert and functional, but this week I can't seem to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem?

Could it be regulating to the new workout/diet, and will it level out eventually, or do I just need to up my sleep to more hours consistently from now on?

Or am I being a baby and worrying too much? (Maybe I need a nap?)

well, i don't know about you, but i most DEFINITELY need a nap :)

SO.

A few things:

1) When you strength train, you're actually doing damage to your muscles. When you do this, your body goes "oh shit, need to rebuild, and need to rebuild STRONGER so that when she does that next time, i won't get hurt" - which is how you get stronger. So your body isn't used to the strength training, and its going to take more sleep to recover at first.

2) Theres something that people experience when they go paleo where theyre sluggish for a week or two - basically what's happening there is that your body is readjusting to a new diet without all of those toxins in it. I personally didn't notice this happen to me but I transitioned VERY SLOWLY so I think that's why.

3) New routines are always exhausting. :)

So basically, it will level out - just takes time :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”