Forums are back in action! ×

Sacracy

So after hearing a lot about Zombies, Run! I started searching around to see if there were any similar type games that use your GPS and follow you as you move around. I came across a lot that looked kinda boring for the most part, then I stumbled upon one called Sacracy. As far as graphics goes it's nothing too special, but I like the idea of it using your GPS to create a map, and as you walk around your character moves around in the game to match you. Even though it's not a super physically intense game, I think walking in RL to slay monsters and complete quests as opposed to sitting at a computer for hours would be a fun and healthy change. I haven't had the chance to play it yet since I'm still waiting for my new Android phone to come in, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if maybe one of you felt like trying it out for me. Also, it would be super cool if Rising Heroes had features like this!

Level Two, Half-Drow Ranger

My 6-Week Challenge!      Zombie Outbreak Survivors!

“There is a wide world out there, full of pain, but filled with joy as well.

The former keeps you on the path of growth and the latter makes the journey tolerable.†
― R.A. Salvatore, Sojourn

Nice! Let me know what you think of it when you get a chance... I'm really curious and there just isn't a lot of info on the GPS mode out there. I love innovative ideas like this... it really gets my creative side thinking. I tried another game for iphone called Life is Magic that took my phone's GPS map and turned it into the game map. So actual roads became dirt roads, houses became hills or something, and pubs/markets became markets or dungeons with monsters. Sadly it didn't require me to move around in real life to move, so that kinda defeated the purpose. I found yet another promising one called Modern Wizards (website), which is also for Android. This augmented reality rpg stuff has a lot of potential... Can't wait 'til someone does it right.

The former keeps you on the path of growth and the latter makes the journey tolerable.†

I convinced my roommie to let me try it on his phone. We walked around on Sacracy for a bit but the GPS did not follow along very well at all... So we gave up. We played Modern Wizards for a little while though and that seemed to work MUCH better. Can't wait until I get to play for a few hours to see if the story or game features are any good. On a similar note, searching for augmented reality games had me stumble across these bad boys:

https://www.spaceglasses.com/

Can you imagine putting on augmented reality glasses and going out in the world with your friends to cast spells and take down monsters? If that happens anytime soon I'll never go back to reality again lol.

I took a browse at Modern Wizards for a few minutes as well yesterday and loved it.  I'd seen a few bad reviews on saracy about the gps, so I wasn't so keen to take a major look at it at all.

The spaceglasses look pretty awesome, combining them with a 3d printer would be pretty amazing.  This is why I love all things nerd and geek, the amazing things people like us all come up with blow my mind on a regular basis!

• Like 1

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

I know! I'm debating buying the space glasses for developers when they come out and trying to make my own RPG...

I think that making a fun to play MMORPG that took place in the real world would be enough to end obesity related disease for all RPG loving nerds in the world. Making video games in general that required actual movement in the real world could be more fun than console games, and would end obesity related diseases for almost all gamers.

I don't quite think it would end it so much as reduce it drastically.  You're always going to have your group that hates it no matter what genres of games you team with it.  But it would mostly definitely be fantastic.  VRLARP, could be the greatest thing I've seen in years.

I'd love to see a mass variety of games, and ones that require you to move around but not leave the house.  The point can be argued that we have the kinect and such.  But having played the kinect, I was sorely disappointed with the minimal rage of movement for a lot of games claiming kinect as a selling point.  A VR set that I could move around the house for, utilize a full range of movement and really get a sweat going, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Yeah reduce is definitely more realistic. If you look at the apps that they are going to develop for it the second highest voted one is LARP. I'm so 'cited!!

I think this is where the future of gaming is headed... and it's probably for the best.

On another note, how is Modern Wizards going?

At the moment, it's going nowhere unfortunately!  I've hit day 3 of a pretty nasty case of flu, so I've confined myself to my bed to sleep it off as much as possible in between hot honey and lemon and the occasional jello cup because I can't keep anything else down.  Pretty sure I've hit the worst of it today, and in the next day or two I should slowly start to recover.

What about you, how are you finding it?

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Aw! Definitely take your time to heal up. I hope you're feeling better! 

I haven't been able to play it. The only time I played it was when I convinced my roommie to let me download it on his Android so I could check it out for 20 minutes. I have an iPhone and sadly it's not available for me. I may be getting and Android in the next month or so, then I'll let you know! :)

Okay okay okay.  I don't walk far, never do.  But so far, completely recommend Modern Wizards.  I'm walking through what I think is the tutorial space, and it's what I like to call a 'one step further' type of tutorial.  Get to one of four places.  From there you get a new place to go to.  That's as far as I got so far, definitely going out tomorrow!

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

YESS!! I finally got my new Nexus 5 and downloaded it. I got to play for about 40 minutes before work today and it was so fun! I keep getting sent around on quests, and I made it to my first battle. The whole time I felt like I was on an adventure. It was a pretty exciting feeling. Overall I probably walked like a mile or two but I wasn't thinking about it as I was going to the next point on my map. I'll play some more and also share in the updating for other members that might be interested!

Lol! I love this. Yeah I'm about to go for a walk myself and fight/collect some stuff. I can't wait to learn a few new combat spells!