Forums are back in action! ×

Heya all!

I am going to be 37 in October. I have not lead an active life. About 3 1/2 years ago, I attempted to become a roller derby skater. Due to a torqued back and bad knees, that didn't happen. Instead, I have become the league's head non-skating official, a more cerebral and less physically demanding job. I chase around the referees and skaters, keeping track of score, penalties, penalty box attendants, that sort of thing. I am constantly around people in far better shape than I.

I've been reading this site for probably about a year now. It inspired me to get an elliptical machine and get off my ass. I did the Couch to 5k program on it, but fell off the wagon a few months back. No good reason. I got sick, then never got back into the groove.

So, I took some advice from this site. I received a flyer in the mail from AIDS Care, a local charity that helped my family out a long time back, when my father was diagnosed. I like helping them out whenever I can, and they're having a Walk/Run/Ride event in September. One of those components? A 5k run.

First I wanted to make sure it was not going to wound me, so I picked up some good running sneakers (instead of my crappy Sketchers that knock my knees out of alignment and weigh a ton) and gave running on land a shot. It was a fairly pathetic showing, but my knees didn't hurt. Step one, complete.

I signed up for the run today. Paid my entrance fee, set up my FirstGiving page, committed to it. Now I just have to DO it. And I'm going to, if I have to drag myself by my lips across the finish line.

Wish me luck! :)

Thanks, everyone! :) I'm really lucky... I have a league full of women coming from all walks of life and energy/activity level as role models. Also, my baby bro (34, for the record) just stepped up to become my running partner. He, too, is pretty sedentary, but he started training as a skating referee last year and is now working bouts and kicking ass. He wanted some exercise between skating practices, and joined me on today's run. He rules.

Ran today (a lot more running today, as Ron wouldn't let me puss out), running Wednesday and Friday. Gotta keep up the pace. September 18 looms!