Forums are back in action! ×

Wizard LFG - Dreams of world domination required.

When I first found this site, I was a little hesitant.

Am I a nerd? Well, let's see... I built my own arcade cabinet so I could have a constant reminder of my high scores in my living room, have two top 100 all-time high scores in digital pinball, and am working on my own tabletop game. Nerd status? Check.

But that other word, the F word... 'Fitness'.

That's a word that hasn't applied to me in a long time.

Believe it or not, back in the day (Let's call it my 'origin story'), I was actually a perfect example of fitness. I skateboarded competitively, I was a trained acrobat, I was a vegetarian... Then I went to university, then I got married, then I had kids. Suffice it to say, the amount of time I've been able to dedicate to doing anything physical, or even really health-conscious, has been pretty much reduced to roughly 0 hours a week. I know it's largely my own fault, and I certainly have lost a lot of battles on the fields of Self Controllia and Will Powerov, but I also know that with determination, anything is possible.

And in a nutshell, that's why I decided to join Nerd Fitness - But here's the thing...

Fitness is just one facet of what I want to accomplish while treating my life as an RPG. 

Yes, I want to be back in amazing shape. I want to be able to be doing backflips off of stuff, and and free running/parkour, and all that fun stuff again, and I definitely intend to use every resource this site has to offer to help me get there - I've even started the Paleo diet as of 3 days ago, and am going to be making my first paleo-centric trip to CostCo some time tonight. Veggies and grass-fed beef, here I come!

But I have many other goals in life, many of which will require support, friends, and maybe even a little co-operation. 

Let me elaborate. You see, the first thing I did when I found this site was try to find my profession, but after reading the list - Warrior, Scout, Ranger, Assassin, Monk, Druid - I found that there was a key profession not listed - Wizard.

As an homage to Steve's list, here's what I'd like to think being a wizard would mean in the rebellion:

Wizard

lego-dragon-wizard-minifigure-25.JPG

Wizards are passionate about knowledge

No group is complete without a spell-slinging wizard to accompany them on epic and often perilous quests. Sure, they aren't beefy like the warrior class, but they have to trek the same roads as everyone else in the fellowship, which means they have to have at least the same level of basic fitness. Wizards are likely to have ebooks playing through their headphones while they do everything from jog to chop wood to cook.

Wizards are also adept at magical concoctions - Conjuring up delicious foods and useful items for the rest of the group using simple ingredients and a little know-how. Being the squishy guy in the back comes with its own perils, though, and learning to be agile and resourceful can often save your skin. Fitness-wise, strength might not be your focus, but agility and either speed or stamina should be. 

Primary attributes: Agility, Stamina, Intelligence.

Training: meditation, tai chi, endurance training - preferably while you absorb knowledge through an ebook, you power-hungry wizard, you.

Real life example: I have no idea!

As I said, many of my other goals associated with the overhaul I'm going to be giving my life through Nerd Fitness are lofty, adventurous and down-right magical in some cases. I plan to use all the time I spend working out and getting in shape learning, reading, absorbing knowledge that will be useful to my master plans - Because what wizard DOESN'T have an elaborate vision of a plan?

In conclusion...

Mission # 2 of the rebellion is to find a support group, and in short, that's what I'm hoping some of you will consider being - Help me stay on track to get in shape, fine-tune my brain and body, and conquer the dungeon that is a life not fully fulfilled, and we will reap the rewards together!

So. 

Any takers?

post-24360-0-62136800-1385317575_thumb.p