Forums are back in action! ×

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Truth is, I don't get sick. I've got a killer immune system.

But I am tired an awful lot, and that's no fun.

I've actually been here before. I was signed up here on NerdFitness about a year and a half ago right before I graduated from college, and I was working out and eating good while unemployed until I started working and lost time to work out or be online. At that point, I was working in a warehouse chucking boxes 60-70 hours a week, and I was broke as a joke. But being physically active 10-18 hours a day, 6 days a week, meant that I could get away with eating mac n' franks or vending machine cheeseburgers (srsly) every day. I actually dropped down to 25lbs below the weight I graduated college at, and was not looking half bad.

After that, I started driving a desk full time, and while my income almost doubled, I was in sales, getting much less physical activity and a lot more mental stress. I ended up packing that 25lbs right back on.

Now, I've since gotten another new job, again with a significant pay bump, but I'm still working long hours (not quite the 60-70 consistently, but 50-55 is standard), and I've got a major over-commitment issue that's now seeing me devote 15-20 hours a week outside of work investing in my community (something I'm not keen to give up on, but am looking to dial back).

So here I sit, bigger than I've ever been (and not in the way rappers talk about it, like getting famous), and looking to...well, stop. And shrink. And get healthy.

There's also a little lady sort of involved in all of this (what great adventure would be complete without romance?). She's crazy about me just as I am, but she's big into fitness, and I want to be able to keep up. If you'd seen her in running shorts, you'd understand.

If I'm going to live a great life (which I fully intend to do), I sure as heck want to be around for as much of it as possible. In light of that, I'm plugging back into the NF community and hoping to get back on track.

Looking forward to leveling up with y'all!

• Like 1

Ha, sounds like you've got a carrot to chase.  Remember, it's all about making changes that will stick.  That probably means focusing on one thing at a time, and starting with the things that are easiest to change.  Reign in your eating, start committing to exercise at least X times a week.  Small steps.

And remember, it's all about dedication.  Motivation is fickle, but the smallest amount of dedication will always move you forward.

• Like 1

Ha, sounds like you've got a carrot to chase.  Remember, it's all about making changes that will stick.  That probably means focusing on one thing at a time, and starting with the things that are easiest to change.  Reign in your eating, start committing to exercise at least X times a week.  Small steps.

And remember, it's all about dedication.  Motivation is fickle, but the smallest amount of dedication will always move you forward.

Thanks for the tips, man! I appreciate it. I'm starting with diet because I think it'll be easiest for me. Adding exercise into my schedule will be tougher than just forcing myself to go to the salad bar instead of picking up a cheeseburger. But one step at a time seems like a reasonable course of action.

As for motivation, I hear it's a lot like bathing...it doesn't last, so it's good to do it daily.