Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to start by thanking everyone for being part of a forum like this. Also, a big thanks to Steve for coming up with NerdFitness in the first place.

I'm coming here and starting a new routine because I feel I've gone as far as I can go with what I'm doing right now.

So far, I had done pretty good for myself. I've lost around 120 pounds since the beginning of last year. I did it entirely by diet and exercise - no surgery, no lap band, nothing. I went down from 319lbs down to just under 200lbs in about a year.

I had a fairly straightforward plan:

1) Eat 1500 calories per day net.

2) Track any sort of working out I do. If I end up working out 1000 calories worth, add 1000 calories to my daily budget.

3) Walk 3 days a week (I started off not walking very far, but now I had been walking 12 miles in 3 hours at a time on Monday / Wednesday / Friday), and go to the gym 2 days a week (doing curls, bench-presses and crunches for about an hour).

4) Weigh myself every Saturday morning.

It's funny. I lost more weight from diet and exercise than most people do from surgery. I lost more weight than people do on those billboards advertising the lap band.

About a two months ago, I was having a difficult time, and I deviated from my routine. Over the course of a month and a half, I had put on 25 pounds. I've been dieting and exercising regularly for the past 2 weeks, and managed to take 10 pounds off on the past two weeks.

So, here I am. I'm 6'1", around 215lbs and 21.6% body fat.

The problem is that when I look in the mirror, I feel like a miniaturized version of the fat person I used to be two years ago. Sure, I'm smaller around the waist. Sure, I'm a hell of a lot healthier. I'm also stronger, and have a lot more endurance than I used to have. Still, looking in the mirror, I just don't feel like I am where I want to be.

Even a couple months ago when I was at 198lbs, it still didn't feel right. Instead of a large spare tire, I have a small spare tire.

So, I'm going to switch up what I'm doing.

1) Instead of 1500 calories net, I'm going to go up to around 2000 calories gross.

2) I'm going to start going to the gym for 3 days a week, instead of 2. Also, I'm going to put more emphasis on the gym than my walking. For instance, if I needed to take a day off during the week, I would usually sacrifice a gym day and not a walking day. For my gym workout, I'm going to use the How to Build Your Own Workout Routine as a basis for my workouts.

3) On Tuesday / Thursdays, I'm going to walk, but only for an hour tops. OR, I might start running again, topping out at around 500 calories.

4) I'm going to start cutting back bread and grains, and instead focus on eating more fruits, vegetables and meat. If I can (and my body doesn't freak out), I'd like to remove bread altogether from the regular list of things that I eat.

5) I'm going to quit soda, and start drinking water instead.

I'm not sure how much of this I will be able to do right away (My guess is the hardest part will be #4 and #5), but I'm hoping I'll be able to get into the full swing of this new routine within a few weeks.

Once that's taken care of, I can move forward to my more long-term goals. All of these I'd like to attain by the end of the year:

1) Be under 15% body fat (under 10% by the middle of next year).

2) Be able to do 8 pull-ups.

3) Be able to do 40 push-ups without break.

4) Weigh under 200lbs.

I think that these are completely attainable goals. I feel I've already shown myself that I have the willpower and the drive to make a positive change. All I need to do is change what it is I'm doing to get there.

I'm excited! Wish me luck!

--Mark

Well, it seems to me that you've done a tremendous job, taking over 100lbs off. That's a great accomplishment right there, and I congratulate you!

Now you want to look better, to get ripped, right? Quit drinking liquid sugar (sodas) and grab the weights, man! :) I'm snackin' on apples and bananas my whole life, drinking a lot of water, and I never had problems with "tires" around my waist...

Remember - eating fruit and drinking water make you look like a lean elf :)

I know what you mean when you say that you look like you did, only smaller... You've done the job of taking down your wight, now it's time to build your stature, muscles, core, everything... Good luck!

"Live hard, die hard and love hard in between. 'Cuz tomorrow ain't promised and today is slipping away..."