Forums are back in action! ×

Tired of the roller coaster

Hello all!

I'm new to the rebellion but certainly not new to trying to get fit and healthy. When I find motivation to start losing weight and exercising, I never seem to have a problem. I go strong for months at a time, losing anywhere from 20 to 50 pounds, but then something always happens... My sneaky little saboteur peeks his little head in and before I know it, I'm back to where I was before I started... and then some. (Sound familiar?)

I've recently come off another roller coaster ride... I joined a women's gym with circuit strength training and was following their plan as well. I was doing awesome and in the first 11 weeks, lost just under 20 pounds. However, from week 12 through now (week 21) I have consistently gained every single week (only 3 pounds from where I started now). I know exactly what I'm doing wrong - not eating right (yet not putting the fork down or making better decisions) and not being able to go to the gym because their hours don't work for my life right now (which means I should find a way to do it at home instead or find another gym, but haven't yet due to numerous back/shoulder/foot injuries). It's not that I don't like being active - I actually love being active... I just keep hurting myself in the process. : ( 

I know these are all excuses - legitimate issues (as far as working out, anyway), but excuses nonetheless. My problem is... I don't know where/how to start!

I'm glad I found this site - it's definitely given me that initial spark of motivation, but now I have to figure out how to get started again. It usually takes me a while before I'm able to hop on that roller coaster again once I finish a go at it, but that's the thing - I don't WANT to be on another roller coaster ride! I'm looking to make a permanent change that I can live with... not just "deal" with (just like everyone else here, I'm sure). : )

Looking forward to getting to know you all and start this journey with you! And of course, any "getting started" tips would be greatly appreciated. ; )

It sounds like you've been through this cycle a few times.  The good news is that means you have a lot of data!  Since you seem familiar with the usual advice on getting a process started, I think you should go a little deeper.

Ask yourself "why," and give yourself the "because."  But do it through many levels. 

"I'm not working out as much."

"Why?"

"Because I've injured myself again."

Why?  Keep going until you find the root causes of your systemic patterns. 

Life changes all the time - it makes sense that eventually the gym you used to go no longer fits as easily as it once did.  The key is to be adaptable.  If the same old initiatives haven't worked over the long haul, then it's time to experiment and find things that will.  That means starting with the issues that have always carried over and derailed you each time.  It's not about beating yourself up over those root causes - it's about acknowledging them and finding a way to workout around/live with/adapt to them!

• Like 1

Thanks! I think part of my problem is, I don't actually know what it is that derails me. But I love the "why" and "because" thing - maybe that will help me find the answer so I can avoid it in the future. : ) 

I definitely try new things when the old ones don't work (which is why I've been through so many different gyms and types of training!)... I just need to find the one that I can stick with (and again - the why and because factor will, I think, be helpful in determining that). There are certain things I love (or loved), but caused me physical problems - like the boxing gym that I absolutely loved, but resulted in me throwing my back out after each workout. But I love being active, as I said, so I know there are plenty of options out there... I just need to find them.