Forums are back in action! ×

Guynio, welcome to tutorial island

Hey guys! I'm Guynio, I'm a 19 year old dude from the Netherlands. I've been overweight for years due to numerous reasons, but I'm done with all that. I've been reading up on food and fitness for almost 3 years now, and NerdFitness literally takes all the conclusions I've drawn, compiles all the research I've done, and then throws it back at me in an awesome, motivating way. I've been making a lot of changes in my life lately, most of which for the better, and I'm ready to take on this as well. I want to take better care of my body and live a healthy lifestyle. Not just to lose weight, but because it's better in every imaginable aspect and I want to feel like I'm in control of my body and want to keep doing that for life.

Outside of that I'm in college to become a high school teacher, I thoroughly enjoy video games, roleplay in every form, consumer IT, music and... Well, there's very few things I don't enjoy. But under the assumption that we're all nerds here, I'ma assume we share at least some of these hobbies :D In terms of exercise, I've always loved dancing and martial arts, but had to give up on them when I started gaining weight. I love almost every sport involving a ball as well, and frankly there's again very little I don't like. When I start to get in better shape, I want to continue swimming during spring and summer, but also get back into dancing and martial arts during the entire year if that's possible. Exercising, in the weightlifting and running sense is not main business for me, because it feels very stale. I will keep doing it, because I recognize the necessity and if I see the results I'm happy, but I want to switch it off with more... Direct forms of activity.

Back to the topic of the day; my remaining issues with getting a healthier lifestyle. I've been making a lot of slight changes here as well. Switched from constantly drinking soda to drinking almost always water (because water 100% of the time is impossible and soda is not cheating), eating slower and more deliberately so I'm fuller soon and don't eat as much (though I still have to think about this very consciously), taking less grains and more meat and vegetables wherever I can. So slight changes. But here's my three main problems;

1) I still live with my parents, and they do the grocery shopping. My income as a student isn't enough that I can change my entire diet around them. My parents are extremely supportive and have already helped with buying healthier snacks and such, but things like the paleo diet are too big a change to make right now. So I'm looking for a way to change my diet in a country where bread 3 times a day and potatoes with nigh every dinner is normal (not to mention delicious). I do think that if I just eat in normal quantities (and not the "let's pour my fourth plate" kind of behaviour I'm used to) would be a start, but y'know.

2) There's a lot of vegetables I can't eat. Asparagus, andive, bell peper, tomatoes (though just the fruit; tomato-flavored things are fine), beets, zucchini, aubergine, and probably some others... And I've been trying to forcefeed myself them to try and get accustomed to their taste, but that often ends up with me throwing up, which isn't the way to go. I DO eat most beans, cabbages, and practically everything that isn't in the list above, so there are options. I love broccoli and culliflower btw, my favorite vegetables.

3) I have Osgood-Schlatter and a balance disorder, so a lot of workouts that involve my legs are utterly destructive. For now, if I combine those two with my heavy overweight (6' 298 lbs), my knee joints just... Die if I do anything else than regular walking. I do swimming now, but it's fricking cold out so motivating myself to go regularly is difficult. I've tried the bodyweight exercises on here, but my legs gave in halfway through the warming up, even if I simplified it. So I'm trying to make myself go swimming, but besides that I could really do with some exercise that's focussed on arms and upper body. To ask my legs to do more than carry my weight is too much.

So yeah, sorry if that is a bit misplaced, since this is only an introductory topic. To conclude, I've got a friend on here as well, and a lot of people to motivate me, but they're not working out themselves. Getting tips and support from the people who're in this battle with me would, I think, give me another drive to keep at it. I look forward to fighting in the Rebellion with you guys! First I gotta read the tutorial though...