Forums are back in action! ×

Wes thu Hal. (Old English meaning; "be you healthy/whole/holy.")

G'day,

I am a forty year old who has been battling the bulge for most of my life. I recently stumbled upon Nerdfitness and apart from grinning at the gaming/geek references I found this site had good info.

Twelve months ago I went from being a single Dad of one son, to a father of six decent kids. My new girlfriend also underwent some major surgery. So I have been a fulltime father of six. Over the past year I have lost 10 kg (22lb). I have done this primarily through everyday activities and by reducing my carb intake. I am once again wanting to further improve my fitness, before obesity and age destroy it completely.

I have already decided that I am a Ranger. The description best fits what I perceive my own fitness goals to be.

I am 183cm (6ft) tall and weigh 118kg (260lb). My body fat percentage is around 35%. My goal is to halve that percentage to 17% which means I would weigh about 95kg (209lb).

Besides my weight loss goal I would like to increase my overall strength. A couple of years ago I started doing a free weights strength routine which I enjoyed. Where I worked I had access to a gym, which is no longer the situation. I recently found a good ebook on body weight exercises, and I am creating a routine from that. Which I plan to do 3 times per week. For me strength training is not about pretty muscles, it is about practical strength, I do some furniture removal work on a casual basis I need strength for that. I need to be able to carry my kids when they hurt themselves.

I also need endurance, Running after six kids is hard work for a fat, out of shape middle aged guy. But it is not for a Lycan Ranger. The problem is this ranger has been a couch potato for too long. I recently intalled a pedometer app on my phone and was surprised to discover that I am only averaging 7000 steps per day Not Ranger material, yet. As a teenager I used to walk 5km per day. Here I plan to restart a regular walking routine.

I am also looking at further reducing my carbs and improving my diet.

I think that covers enough for an introduction at this stage.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

In supporting another rookie, I came up with my evil villain. The Black Dog. I have long term depression and take happy pills for it. I am aware that exercise can help alleviate depression. So this Lycan Ranger has to overcome the great devouring Black Dog.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus