Forums are back in action! ×

Noob who's interested in Crossfit, but a little intimidated...

Hi there,

First off, I'm so excited to join this group! I'm pretty psyched to have found this fitness community; I'm new to Nerd Fitness in general. I signed up for the periodic e-mails, but just noticed that this community existed. And by the posts that I've read so far, there's tons of support and positive folks within this group. 

I do have a fitness journey story, but I'll try my best to keep it short. Let's see... joined an at work Biggest Loser's challenge ------> did Insanity for 60 days and lost 60 pounds -------> won the challenge, but kept up with Shaun T's craziness -------> lost more weight and stopped weighing in... just stuck to working out 6 days a week -------> changed entire diet; no processed crap, no dairy, no chicken, pork, or beef, and feeling great -------> quit job in private sector and now works at a gym that hosts Crossfit classes. 

This has all gone down within a 2 year period. I love my new job, and though I have taken a couple of Crossfit classes here, I'm a little creeped out by some of the WODs. They are posted on the gym's site the night before, so I have this terrible habit of checking to see if I can even attempt to get through a class! I'm hoping to get past this; I want to take at least 2-3 classes a week. 

I do still stick with working out 6 days a week (Beachbody video and spin fanatic here!), but Crossfit intrigues yet frightens me a bit. I feel that through joining this community, I'll find the support and motivation to just suck it up and take my butt to these classes. I welcome advice and look forward to being apart of the rebellion!  :panda:

This will actually be my first post here, so hurray for us newbies!

I know EXACTLY how you feel when it comes to the intimidation of crossfit. My sister started last year and it took her nearly 6 months to convince me to even step into our Crossfit gym. I also completed P90x, and started a running regiment on my own. I saw my sisters body changing, heard her insistence that it was the greatest thing ever and I would love it. But it was scary. I hated lifting weights and I as convinced I would hate them forever.

One day, I gave in and signed up for an intro workout. I went, got my butt handed to me and was sore for a week (no lie, and the workout was only 7 mins). It still took me about 2 weeks before I made the decision to join the gym. I'm coming up on my 6 months there and my body has changed in amazing ways.

Crossfit will push you to limits that no home workout DVD could ever push you to.

My advice is just walk in there and go for it! Any good crossfit gym will scale the workout to your skill level and you should never feel uncomfortable. If you do, find another gym.

I could seriously write a novel about crossfit and how it will change your life. But, you have to take a deep breath and just go for it!

- Bailey

Working out doesn't have to be a chore, have fun with it!

+1, Crossfit is awesome. I had to drop my box membership during the summer cause :fire season: (which = re-he-he-he-he-he-HEALLY long hours, Shirley), but now with something kinda-sorta resembling winter making its way here, I'm free to start back up there. :-) Definitely recommend it, the box I used to go to had a more "beginner's-intermediate" style workout, and an "advanced" class with actual WODs for time, etc. The beginner-intermediate classes were set up with the eventual goal of having you move up to the advanced class and do real WODs if you were so inclined. Alternately, you could just stay in the intermediates and keep scaling-up as your fitness improved. No pressure either way. :-)

I can only speak to the place I went to, but it was my experience there that everybody is really supportive and helpful, and there's no-stress if you can't do a specific exercise, they have something scaled-down or slightly different that still works the same.

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

This will actually be my first post here, so hurray for us newbies!

I know EXACTLY how you feel when it comes to the intimidation of crossfit. My sister started last year and it took her nearly 6 months to convince me to even step into our Crossfit gym. I also completed P90x, and started a running regiment on my own. I saw my sisters body changing, heard her insistence that it was the greatest thing ever and I would love it. But it was scary. I hated lifting weights and I as convinced I would hate them forever.

One day, I gave in and signed up for an intro workout. I went, got my butt handed to me and was sore for a week (no lie, and the workout was only 7 mins). It still took me about 2 weeks before I made the decision to join the gym. I'm coming up on my 6 months there and my body has changed in amazing ways.

Crossfit will push you to limits that no home workout DVD could ever push you to.

My advice is just walk in there and go for it! Any good crossfit gym will scale the workout to your skill level and you should never feel uncomfortable. If you do, find another gym.

I could seriously write a novel about crossfit and how it will change your life. But, you have to take a deep breath and just go for it!

+1, Crossfit is awesome. I had to drop my box membership during the summer cause :fire season: (which = re-he-he-he-he-he-HEALLY long hours, Shirley), but now with something kinda-sorta resembling winter making its way here, I'm free to start back up there. :-) Definitely recommend it, the box I used to go to had a more "beginner's-intermediate" style workout, and an "advanced" class with actual WODs for time, etc. The beginner-intermediate classes were set up with the eventual goal of having you move up to the advanced class and do real WODs if you were so inclined. Alternately, you could just stay in the intermediates and keep scaling-up as your fitness improved. No pressure either way. :-)

I can only speak to the place I went to, but it was my experience there that everybody is really supportive and helpful, and there's no-stress if you can't do a specific exercise, they have something scaled-down or slightly different that still works the same.

These comments really helped. My mission on Monday is to just go in without checking the WOD online and get through it. I'm kind of excited to see what'll be in store for me. Gotta start off the week after Thanksgiving the right way I guess. Thanks so much for this!  :peaceful: