Forums are back in action! ×

Holy crap

People really tick me off. I'm 5ft9 and was 240 pounds. To say the least I was over weight. I was one of these guys you saw in the benching a lot of weight but looked bad. Well I decided that I wanted to get my weight down so a year ago I started paleo and switched from high weight low reps to a full body work out high reps. Now I'm down to 180 pounds. Due to jacking up my shoulder I have pretty much stopped lifting and gone to body weight work out so I have lost a lot of my muscle bulk, so now I'm a lot leaner. Now to the point. Some of my coworkers and even some family are saying crap like " oh your too skinny now you need to put some weight back on" or " are you sick?" Holy crap people 180 pounds at 5"9' is not too skinny. According to my BMI that's slightly over weight. Granted most of that is lean muscle. I understand people at work being haters but jeez family too? Ok rant off just wanted to get that off my chest lol

Yeah, they could be haters. Or they could just still have this mental image of you being a lot bigger. Hence they just see how much you've lost and how skinny you are compared to how you were and less how much you still weigh. That and a lot of people don't actually have a clue what a healthy body looks like. 

I'd go with the people mean well and are just worried for you, rather than assuming people are hating. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Yeah, I'd go with that too.  Like MissMormie said, people get used to seeing you as you are and then develop a mental image that becomes "Who You Are".  Anything that changes from that mental picture is a shock to them.  I'm sure people who meet you for the first time now think that you look perfectly normal, but for those around you its just too different.

When I started losing weight my family all agreed that I "would look skeletal" if I weighed under 11 stone (154lbs).  I currently weigh 151lbs and I still have a body fat percentage of 28%.  Hardly in the anorexic category category, huh? And I get the "Don't lose any more weight" comments all the time, it's soooo frustrating!  :hopelessness:

They mean well though... At least we know that it's only because they care about us.  :playful:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

i get them feels, but the opposite way on, constantly being told by family that i don't need to gain any more weight or get bigger, (171lbs @ 5' 10.5"), granted i'm pretty strong for my size but i'm the lightest of all my mates bar one (ex veggie, i swear it stunted his growth), you've just got to roll with it and eventually the new you will be what they get used to and they'll realise how good it is for you