Forums are back in action! ×

Need some work advice

So I've been at my current job for almost exactly a year (December 1st will be a full year.)  It started out great, then started getting stressful but still great, then it just stopped being great and got extremely stressful.  The biggest problem is my boss is in a completely different state so all our communication happens by phone and e-mail, and he's not very good at communicating... then he acts like I'm stupid or lazy.  We also had a pay cut, and the words "I'd like to be able to make payroll this month" were said not that long ago.  The business isn't doing super well, and twice I've worked for companies that just run out of money and go under... I don't want to do it again.

So I've been keeping my ears open for some opportunities.  I've applied a few places but didn't get any real bites until last week.  I applied for a coding position, which I can do quite a bit but I know there's a lot they want from me that I don't know how to do.  I wrote a spectacular cover letter about my drive to learn and grow, and it got their attention, and not only did they e-mail me the very next day to set up an interview but that went well enough that I've now got a second interview set up for next week.  I know if they offer it to me, I will take it, even though I'm not sure I'll really be able to thrive.  But it's more money than I'm making now and I would really like to be able to pay my mortgage every month.

This afternoon I got an e-mail from another company wanting to set up an interview.  This is a marketing and graphic design position, and it's at a publishing company that's involved with fitness and health and such.  Relevant to my interests.  (It could only be better if it were a company that printed dog books or something.)  I'm sure I would like it much more, and probably be better at it.  Downside is I have heard some less than great things about the work environment there, that people are quitting and they don't replace people, so the existing employees are getting overwhelmed and stretched thin.

So there's that, and the biggest problem is the first place will probably make a decision about the same time I would interview at the second.  The second place also wants like two hours of my time to interview and tour the building and stuff... I only get an hour for lunch so I'll have to take a half-day of vacation just to interview.  OR... I can be up front with my co-workers and tell them what's going on.  I'm friends with both of them (one of them is dating an ex-co-worker from when we both worked in radio) and I don't think they'll be mad or tell my boss.  I also feel kind of bad NOT telling them what's going on.  But I don't know.  I don't normally go around telling my co-workers I'm interviewing places and looking to quit.

Advice please?  On anything and everything?

Generally it is a bad idea to mention looking/interviewing for other jobs with coworkers. Even if you know they wouldn't intentionally say anything, things slip out. And others wouldn't necessarily be as careful keeping it to themselves.

sent from ze phone

"When I say 'Ascend to a higher level of consciousness'...you say 'HOW HIGH, SIR?!'"

- B Katt

Level 2 Warrior

Challenges - 1 - 2

DO NOT tell coworkworkers about new prospects, thety simply don't need to know. Do what is best for you. If and when you decide to move ask for an exit interview so your former employer can know why you left. That will serve your friends more than telling them right now.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Can't you start an hour earlier or work an hour longer and that way get the extra hour over lunch break? You could just say you need to pick up some errand or have a doctors appointment or something as reason for being away somewhat longer. 

As for the first interview process being done at the same time the second one starts, just stall a little. Tell them you need a few days to think it over, that you want to take time to read the contract and such. This should be fine and the company really shouldn't have a problem with you taking a few days to sign/come up with a different offer. That will give you the time to get the second interview process going as well. At the second company be upfront about it, say that you'd rather work at their place but that you have another interview going as well, so you'd be happy if they could speed up the process a bit.  

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Generally it is a bad idea to mention looking/interviewing for other jobs with coworkers. Even if you know they wouldn't intentionally say anything, things slip out. And others wouldn't necessarily be as careful keeping it to themselves.

sent from ze phone

DO NOT tell coworkworkers about new prospects, thety simply don't need to know. Do what is best for you. If and when you decide to move ask for an exit interview so your former employer can know why you left. That will serve your friends more than telling them right now.

spot on. both posts.

do not tell them. not worth it until you are ready to make a move.

I would also not hesitate to tell company A- I have a second interview- I need to interview with them- and I'll get back to you on such and such a time line.

Follow up with thank you notes.

Thanks guys, I know you're right.  I just feel rotten because I have to come up with a lie.  I already lied the first time I had an interview.  I set it for a time I thought I'd be able to leave without saying anything, but I usually don't leave until the first round of shipping is done, and they were futzing around and wasting time in the morning.  So I had to make up a lie and claimed I had a lunch date and just had to go.  Two hours is a long time, usually my doctor's appointments don't take that long.  I might be able to get away with saying I'm meeting a physical therapist or something since it's officially marathon training season... and that could possibly take a couple hours if I say they had to do an x-ray or something?

I could just take a half-day of vacation except they all want to know WHY I'm taking a vacation day.  None of your damn business is why.

I've never had this happen before.  It's stressful.  Why now??  Both of them!  Augh!

Well..... I think it's good that people feel loyalty to their employers and don't like telling them anything less than the whole truth.

However.... if your employer was considering or even planning major restructuring or cost-cutting that would involve you losing your job, they wouldn't tell you until the last possible moment, whatever that happens to be... generally whenever employment law requires.  And for understandable reasons.... no point alarming people about what might never happen (and risk losing good people), and (arguably) no point raising all this as an employer until you have a plan and you're able to answer the inevitable questions from those affected. 

So just as employees sneak around behind their employer's backs when looking for another job, so employers sneak around if they're planning to get rid of people.  I think that's widely understood and accepted.

Personally I'd feel a bit hurt as a manager if one of my team didn't discuss their career aspirations with me, not least because I'm generally in a position to help and I actively want to see good staff get promoted (especially within the organisation), even if it leaves me having to train their successors.  But I've got no right to expect the people I line manage to confide in me if they choose not to.  And if they do confide in me, it stays between us.  But having said all that, I'd have no role in plotting to get rid of people.....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I wouldn't lie, but I have been intentionally vague in the past: "I have an appointment and will need to leave for a couple of hours," and "the appointment took longer than I was expecting."  Even doctor's appointments run over if they are running behind or have to order tests, and so this really doesn't point to anything suspicious.  If they ask what kind of appointment -- and no one has asked me -- you can always say that you're not comfortable discussing it and then change the subject.

If you end up taking a vacation day and they want to know why, you could just say that you're trying to get a bunch of errands and appointments done in one go.

If they push more than that, then they are the ones who are being rude, not you.  I mean, what if you were meeting with a proctologist and weren't comfortable talking about that with them?